Goodbye Jughead

ozark_chickies

Songster
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Arkansas
I went to close up the coops this evening and came up two banties short. Do another count, and Jughead and Peep are missing. So I ran to the house got a flash light , checked the other room of the coop, and still came up short. At this point I had that 'Oh no' feeling. My next spot to check was down by the hedge where the banties like to hang out, so I headed in that direction. When I was twenty feet from the hedge, a large brown bird flew up. Oh no, for real now. Right under the hedge, was Jughead. He was cold and dead.

96760_img_1472_2_640x427.jpg

Jughead came to us last spring from my cousin.They had gotten him a year before from someone else, so I have no idea how old he was. I think he was three or four years old, but he was a good little rooster. I will miss him , and so will the hens. Jughead liked to show the hens where to lay, and he would stay with them while they did. He probably spent more time in the nest boxes than they did. Here he is at work.

96760_img_2088_2_640x427.jpg

On a happier note, little Peep came out of the hedge unhurt.

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Roosters just seem to have a special thing about them thats different from a hen, like a twinkle in there eyes. Our first rooster whom had to be rehomed would go into the coop when it was just cleaned, sit in a corner and roll around in the shavings like a weirddo.

Oh gosh! I hate to hear that.......Jughead looked like a nice little guy......Glad your little Peep showed up. Was it a owl or a hawk do you think?

hugs.gif
Thanks everyone. Not sure if it was an owl or a hawk, but I am thinking owl. It was almost dark, so owl makes more sense. At least Peep is alright. Before she showed up, I was afraid she was gone too. I'm really going to miss that old guy. I have nine young banty pullets that followed him around, and he showed two where to lay. The others will have to figure it out without him
sad.png
. He would also stop the young cockerels from harassing the hens, and break the cockerels up when they fought.

He must have sacrificed himself for Little Peep.

Yes, he must have. A good roo will give up his life to protect his girls.

Here is Jughead coming over to break up the cockerel fight. Little Peep is standing in the dust bath.
96760_img_2044_2_640x427.jpg

Back
Top Bottom