Goodies for Chicks?

Everybody has a different time frame they think is best to start treats.
Mine stared with plain, low-fat yogurt and some hard boiled eggs around 10 days old. Then I added crickets, but only after they found a spider in their brooder and helped themselves. After that I added a new treat every coupla days, always giving them time to make sure everything agreed with their systems.
I stongly believe in giving treats in small amounts, especially when they are little ones. You want them to be sure and get the complete nutrition of their chick starter. Treats are more for entertainment value at that age. From what I've learned since having chicks, it's never too early to start the yogurt. It has important digestive benefits to it, making it more than a simple treat.

Hmmm, never thought about yogurt. I guess it might be easier for them all to get a share of that than from a worm or two huh?

Last edited:
Warning! You put the bowl of yogurt down and stand back. Wayyyyy back. They sling it everywhere! One of my hens slammed her face into a bowl of yogurt yesterday. When she lifted her head all you could see was one eye and the very top of her beak.
I forgot to mention when you first offer them treats they may look at it and you as if you're trying to poison them. That's normal. Just leave it in there with them for awhile. They'll overcome their fear that all humans are evil and are out to get them.
wink.png

Quote:
Yes, you can typically find the plain, low-fat yogurt in pint size or larger containers in the dairy section at the grocery store.
If you already have some fruit yogurt on hand that you want to give them it's okay occasionally, but most of the fruity yogurts are sweetened with alot of sugar and/or artificial sweeteners that's not so good.
I have a strong dislike for artificial sweeteners anyhow. Give me natural pure cane sugar over something created in a labratory any day.

I asked them how much money they wanted us to spend on yogurt and they said get something, and I quote, "cheep cheep".

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Just wait till they get older and their vocabulary increases. Then they'll tell ya to spend every last dime on them.

The yogurt is definitely worth it, even if it isn't too "cheep". The entertainment value is priceless. I mixed starter crumbles with it and stuck it on the sides of the tub the chicks were in. It sounded like hard rain in a metal building. It was a little neater that way but loud. When I put it in the dish they wore a lot.

Back
Top Bottom