Google says it’s rare?

I have an Anacona duck for a little over a year now, the past few weeks she’s been laying 2 eggs a day, every day.
They’re all great looking eggs, and she’s very consistent with it.
I’ve seen online where this may happen occasionally but it’s becoming the norm. Any others had this happen? I’m not too worried as she’s acting normal but would love to know the why behind all of this.
It isn't healthy to produce like this. My girls lay every single day too, all through their first winter. Occassionally two per day, but this wasnt a common thing for us. And now one of them is having serious issues. I'm trying to get her to stop laying, but in the meantime I'm supplementing calcium citrate to help her produce shells, something she stopped doing.
I would encourage you to act before you start seeing issues, you could try making them broody, or limiting daylight hours. But I would try and get them to take a break, it'll be good for them, and give their bodies a break.
I managed to get my healthier duck to brood, and she's had an over two week break now for which I'm so grateful!

Point is, prevention is better than cure.

How did you get her to go broody?
I simply stopped collecting her eggs, they werent fertilised, you could use fake eggs though, or hatching ones.
Once she had a big enough clutch, I kept it at that number and eventually she started sitting.
Not all ducks will go broody, but it's worth a try

How do I give the calcium citrate? In the water? How much and will it be ok for my chickens?

Are you giving it to only one duck? if you put it in water it's going to dilute it and you'll not know if she is getting the right dose. Best to mix it into feed maybe make a small amount of feed and warm water with the cal citrate in it just for the duck that needs it. Or if it's a pill you can give it by mouth.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-give-pills-to-ducks.1246505/

Back
Top Bottom