goopy eye

My Little Chick-a-dees

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2020
One of my 2-month old silkies has had a goopy eye for the entire 2 months. I have been cleaning every morning and every night with an eyewash, also a wash from the vet, and an antibiotic salve from the vet. The chick eats and drinks like normal. Growing like the others. But the eye is not getting any better. Also, it is not getting any worse. Any suggestions?

It is hard to know without getting some testing for a respiratory or a culture of the eye. Is there is nasal drainage or bubbles in the eye? Have you looked for a feather or other irritant in the eye?

I can’t see any irritant in the eye. Seems like there is nothing coming out of the nose. The eye gets cleaned every morning and everything night. It’s barely open. When I wipe it with a clean cloth and eye rinse I can pull the goop out. Then I put salve on it. The next time I go out there it’s all crusted over again. The bird is running around and eats treats out of my hands. It’s been 2 months like this. No better, no worse. Should I just leave it crust over and see what happens?

Back
Top Bottom