Goose Beak Bleeding From Injury

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
So earlier today this morning I went to feed my geese and chickens. I opened the goose coop and grabbed their food dish and when I went to close the door, my gander (Oliver) came up to tell me I needed to leave (because he can be aggressive as you all know geese are). He peaked his head out and I was going to close the door to fill their food, then let them outside. That’s what I always do. But I shut the door on his beak! I didn’t think I shut the door too hard but his beak started bleeding a lot.

I could tell it hurt because he stopped tormenting me and went to the back of the coop. He kept his beak open for a little bit and it worried me that I ruined his whole beak! I was worried he wouldn’t be able to drink or eat properly again. Thankfully I saw him close his beak but he was still bleeding everywhere, even on his mate (Daisy). His beak seems to be ok for the most part. But I’m worried I adjusted it some wrong way? What do you guys think? Do you think his beak will heal back to normal and if it did adjust some wrong way, do you think it will move back in place where it should be?

5ACF51E3-F2F8-4E7A-995A-AE71667F1A7D.jpeg

Even though he gets on my nerves sometimes and can be the worst gander to deal with on the planet I feel so bad! This is a picture of him a while back before his beak injury today. Isn’t he gorgeous? 🕊🦢

Sorry I didn’t send a pic sooner, I totally forgot!
View attachment 2479877

You can see a bit of dried up blood on the under side of his beak.
I’m not a doctor so just going by the picture he looks like he has a little swelling, definitly deep bruising going on, best case scenario it’s just bruising, worst case there’s a possible fracture, maybe a break. The good news is that it doesn’t look out of place so there’s a good chance it will heal up fine, there aren’t exactly beak casts so there’s not much I can think of that a vet would do about it besides possible pain medication if it’s preventing him from eating.
I’ve never seen a broken jaw in a goose so I might be wrong but if it was broken I think there’d be more swelling, nothing looks out of place from this angle so maybe it is just deep tissue bruising.
The blood under his tissue will turn black, eventually it will go away. If he stops eating, if it starts swelling up a lot, or it looks like he can’t move his jaw he might need a vet but I think he’ll be alright. In the mean time while he’s healing just make sure he’s taking life easy, he’ll know better than anyone what he’s capable of but with his horomones amped up right now he’s going to keep wanting to get into scuffles so try to reduce his exposure to things that provoke him, “easier said than done I know.”

I’m not a doctor so just going by the picture he looks like he has a little swelling, definitly deep bruising going on, best case scenario it’s just bruising, worst case there’s a possible fracture, maybe a break. The good news is that it doesn’t look out of place so there’s a good chance it will heal up fine, there aren’t exactly beak casts so there’s not much I can think of that a vet would do about it besides possible pain medication if it’s preventing him from eating.
I’ve never seen a broken jaw in a goose so I might be wrong but if it was broken I think there’d be more swelling, nothing looks out of place from this angle so maybe it is just deep tissue bruising.
The blood under his tissue will turn black, eventually it will go away. If he stops eating, if it starts swelling up a lot, or it looks like he can’t move his jaw he might need a vet but I think he’ll be alright. In the mean time while he’s healing just make sure he’s taking life easy, he’ll know better than anyone what he’s capable of but with his horomones amped up right now he’s going to keep wanting to get into scuffles so try to reduce his exposure to things that provoke him, “easier said than done I know.”
Alright thank you for the help! I’m hoping that it’s just bruising and not a fracture. I’ll keep you updated!

I'm not a doctor either but is there even any bone in a goose jaw? I guess i've never thought about it but assumed it was some kind of kerotin based structure
Most of the beak is made up of bone, internal tissues, and keratin, but the keratin is primarily found on the tip of the upper bill “the bean,” the tip of the lower bill, and the serrated strips within the interior of the mouth, everywhere else is skin over bone.

Most of the beak is made up of bone, internal tissues, and keratin, but the keratin is primarily found on the tip of the upper bill “the bean,” the tip of the lower bill, and the serrated strips within the interior of the mouth, everywhere else is skin over bone.
Wow that’s interesting! You seem very knowledgeable about geese!

Back
Top Bottom