Goose Behaviour + Molting + Gender

felys

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Are goose generally goofy? My 3 month old goose is pretty goofy. He/she will suddenly run with his/her wings spread. Not honking or anything.

Or s/he will jump out of his/her tub of water after bathing, running with wings spread.

S/he looks more like s/he's doing it for fun. Not fear.

Also, is it normal for a 3 month old goose to molt? Photo is after his bath. Feathers are coming off recently. More and more.

And, anyone can help me identify if my goosy is male or female?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_130537.jpg
    IMG_20220624_130537.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 17
  • 16560472767006773470085604461222.jpg
    16560472767006773470085604461222.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 16560474858708267253920680409190.jpg
    16560474858708267253920680409190.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 16560474970213989752075060940789.jpg
    16560474970213989752075060940789.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 3
My only experience with geese is with my two American Buffs. Based on that alone, I would say, YES! Geese are goofy!

Gussie and Golly have their own sleeping quarters but are loose with ducks and chickens during the day. For no apparent reason, they will both start running down the driveway, flapping their wings and taking off -- for about five seconds. They also walk up behind the resting flock of ducks and "herd" them across the yard, just because they want to, I guess.

Every motorcycle that drives past requires them to honk furiously, and they -- like toddlers -- put everything in their mouth. Once, Gussie grabbed one of my cleaning gloves and marched around the yard with it, refusing to let go.

Sorry, I am no help with goose gender. I thought I had a breeding pair -- until both laid eggs their first year.

Your goose is lovely!

My only experience with geese is with my two American Buffs. Based on that alone, I would say, YES! Geese are goofy!

Gussie and Golly have their own sleeping quarters but are loose with ducks and chickens during the day. For no apparent reason, they will both start running down the driveway, flapping their wings and taking off -- for about five seconds. They also walk up behind the resting flock of ducks and "herd" them across the yard, just because they want to, I guess.

Every motorcycle that drives past requires them to honk furiously, and they -- like toddlers -- put everything in their mouth. Once, Gussie grabbed one of my cleaning gloves and marched around the yard with it, refusing to let go.

Sorry, I am no help with goose gender. I thought I had a breeding pair -- until both laid eggs their first year.

Your goose is lovely!
Awww Gussie and Golly sounds so cute.

I named my goose Sherlock Goose. We thought he would be male... Hahah... Won't know for sure till later.

Sherlock ran way with my Dad's shoe the other day 😅

My 2 teenage White Cinese are molting and leave a feather film on the surface of the pond. The also get the random zoomies and lead the adults off on a wing wide run. No knobs yet, but one has an almighty honk that sounds similar to the adult female 'where are you' call.

Your goose is lovely!
We call our three American Buffs toddlers, too! :) They are a delight.

We call our three American Buffs toddlers, too! :) They are a delight.
Lol ... Sherlock has given us hours of entertainment.
Oh yes! They’re goofy as can be:wee
They have zoomies like dogs and cats
He gives his duck friends a good startle too, whenever he zooms around...

Known that is normal behaviour is a relief. Cos this is the first time I've had a goose pet

Back
Top Bottom