Goose bill injured; no vet available for 2 weeks

ajkarger33

Chirping
Dec 17, 2018
Hello,

My sweet goose got into a scuffle with a dog & fortunately came out relatively unscathed. The only issue is the lower part of her bill has a protrusion that was not visible before. There was never any blood coming from it and she seems to be eating and drinking completely normally, but obviously as you will see in the photo something is not right. None of the avian vets or emergency clinics in my area can see her for weeks and I’m concerned about infection. Any advice on how to treat the area until I can get her into the vet? Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• 5FA2315A-9941-4090-81ED-B3426C26CB75.jpeg
    5FA2315A-9941-4090-81ED-B3426C26CB75.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 29
I'm certainly not an expert on geese. But, when I had them, I know they ARE tough birds and Will fight back.
It looks like perhaps her inside lower lip membrane caught the animals tooth and is roughed up.
It doesn't look like it's actively bleeding which is good. As long as she is eating and drinking, I would say she is good and Thankfully can fight back.
What are your thoughts about it?

I'm certainly not an expert on geese. But, when I had them, I know they ARE tough birds and Will fight back.
It looks like perhaps her inside lower lip membrane caught the animals tooth and is roughed up.
It doesn't look like it's actively bleeding which is good. As long as she is eating and drinking, I would say she is good and Thankfully can fight back.
What are your thoughts about it?
Thanks so much for your reply! I am grateful that the injury does not seem to be severe, however I am slightly concerned about potential infection to the area - since she cannot get into a vet for a couple of weeks, I won’t have access to any antibiotics and I was wondering if anyone had any at-home remedies or suggestions to treat her with in the meantime. Thanks again for getting back to me – I really appreciate it!

Thanks so much for your reply! I am grateful that the injury does not seem to be severe, however I am slightly concerned about potential infection to the area - since she cannot get into a vet for a couple of weeks, I won’t have access to any antibiotics and I was wondering if anyone had any at-home remedies or suggestions to treat her with in the meantime. Thanks again for getting back to me – I really appreciate it!
Your welcome. We are always wanting to use antibiotics more than we should. But, many are sold online and don't need a prescription.
I know of this one and I think you can use it for your goose.
BAYTRIL
It is a broad spectum antibiotic.
Covers a lot of bacterias.

Back
Top Bottom