GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

I have a question, which I'm sure has been answered on here already. So sorry for the repetition. I have several geese that have started to lay. I was picking the eggs up at first, but they seemed pretty upset. and would move the nest, One of my Toulouse has started to set, but is only on three eggs, as I had gathered hers up. They have been left out on the cabinet. Would it be ok to give them to her? Will they still be viable? It seems like they lay a clutch and then start setting, so some would be older than others in nature. I don't think any had been frozen that I could tell, though I've been told that the wild ones will freeze and hatch. I don't know if that's correct or not. Any help will be appreciated. Last year my white chinese goose and buff layed but didn't set. My half chinese did set, but she went out all day with the others several times, so they didn't hatch. Hopefully they know what to do this year, though I don't.

If the eggs froze they are dead that would kill all living bacteria that had a chance at living.I would collect new eggs and with a pencil(not marker or pen a graphite pencil)mark the date on the new eggs.Then once you have the amount you want collected give them too her.You could risk giving her the old eggs and they could hatch but if you want a high success rate I would start with fresh eggs.Keep them preferably in a room between 68-75 degrees Fahrenheit.Thats about room temp which is good and do not let them sit on one side for long turn them daily so the precious insides aren't torn or disturbed.Then once you have the right amount of eggs probably about 8-12 not too many so she doesn't break them.Then candle them about once every seven days this is what I would do.I am not as experienced as it may seem but I have read about a dozen or so books on rearing,hatching,breeding etc. on chickens,ducks,geese,and turkey's I still have hatched many clutches under hens and hatched them in an incubator but I have yet to breed geese((which im hoping I will get too this spring).I wish you the best of luck and would love to help in any way possible.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went down to the coop this morning to spread new straw,fill feeders,clean waterers the usual and guess what I find under the bunny hutch with a nest????????????? DAMASCUS I am so excited she was so protective to and she hadn't even laid an egg yet!!!!! And Assyra was standing in front of the nest and tried to get me away from her so I am so sure now I have a gander and a goose which means GOSLINGS!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went down to the coop this morning to spread new straw,fill feeders,clean waterers the usual and guess what I find under the bunny hutch with a nest????????????? DAMASCUS I am so excited she was so protective to and she hadn't even laid an egg yet!!!!! And Assyra was standing in front of the nest and tried to get me away from her so I am so sure now I have a gander and a goose which means GOSLINGS!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you might be just a little excited lol Congrats !!

Thanks! So here is the egg!

Back
Top Bottom