Goose can't walk

babybluegurl22

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 16, 2014
Kentucky
I got a goose she had started to sit on a nest for maybe a week or two and now she seems like she can't walk. And when I feel her feet they are cold. What would cause this and will she get better

I got a goose she had started to sit on a nest for maybe a week or two and now she seems like she can't walk. And when I feel her feet they are cold. What would cause this and will she get better
Has she been getting up at all since she started sitting? sounds like she has lost circulation in her feet and legs. If it was my goose I would take her off the nest put her in a small pen with protection and begin making sure she is eating and drinking add some poultry vitamins to her drinking water that has Niacin in it Poultry Nutri Drench [TSC] is a good one. I really wouldn't let her continue to sit you may loose her. Some geese just don't make good broodies especially if they don't take care of themselves.

well we walked down to the pond yesterday and she stay all night in it i got her out this morning because i knew she hadnt got out at all and a male was on top of her and she was already weak. to me it seems like she has no circulation in her legs like you said but i didnt know why just seems like she has gotten worse she will stand for a while but her feet are still cold.

could i give her save a chick?
Yes save a chick will be okay but don't let the gander mess with her right now. You can keep them close but separate with fencing so she can have a chance to recoup.

Can you take her to a vet? I know not many of us can but if she has infection in her body she may need some antibiotics. Is she eating at all?
You might try floating her[stay with her] in some warm water and see if that helps with circulation and massage can help too if she lets you handle her.
I would try and get her some Nutri Drench if at all possible it is better than Save a chick but that is better than nothing for now. you might try a super B complex also mix it into her water about 250 Megs. per gallon. changed daily. if you can't get Nutri drench

How's her poop look? any blood? could she have worms/ ever wormed? how old is she? When was the last time she laid an egg?

So she stayed in the pond all night so she isn't on her nest anymore?

She is 2 years old I have never worked her and she hasn't been on her nest for two days I got to throw the eggs out. If them was her eggs she was sitting on its been a few weeks. I got a few females

She is 2 years old I have never worked her and she hasn't been on her nest for two days I got to throw the eggs out. If them was her eggs she was sitting on its been a few weeks. I got a few females
I don't know how many geese you have but if I was you I'd do a worming. Safe Guard is a good one it can be bought as paste or liquid. if you only have a few geese Safe Guard paste wormer for horses would work. You'll need to know her weight for dosage. Let us know and we'll see if @casportpony will help with dose.

Back
Top Bottom