Status
Not open for further replies.

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
The long awaited for goose eggs came this morning on the first mail truck of the day.

I photographed the process of opening the box and un wrapping the eggs.

ge1.jpg

The box as recieved from the PO.

ge2.jpg

Opened.

ge3.jpg

ge4.jpg

ge5.jpg

First reveal of the eggs. Some in bubble wrap, some just in the box.

ge6.jpg

Moved the 2 to see what is there underneath.

ge7.jpg

Beginning to unwrap.

ge8.jpg

The bottom of the box is full of eggs.

ge9.jpg

A full dozen eggs.

ge10.jpg

Size comparison with a large chicken egg so the size can be better determined.

The eggs seem to be sweaty and damp with mud and stuff stuck to it.

Will damp wet eggs hatch?

I have them big end up in an egg flat settling.

When they air dry I plan to brush them off with a toothbrush.

Tomorrow they go in the bator after having 24 hours to rest on my kitchen counter.

I will dry brush the mess off of them as best as possible before setting them.

I do have a goose egg turner.

Incubation -

Day 1 - 26 temps 99.5 humidity 65%
open daily for a 15 min cool down. Spritz eggs once a day with a fine mist of warm water.

day 26 - 30 temps 99.5 humidity boost to 85%
Stop turning
Spritz eggs once a day with a fine mist of warm water.

Do I need to know anything else?

Last edited:
I cannot give you advise on your questions. I wish you the best of luck and make sure you keep us all posted on the progress you have or dont have with the eggs.

~Casey

I hope you get a hatch prissy. I really do. And that the hatch-lings are healthy. Fingers crossed for you.
fl.gif

I have read that you spray the eggs during incubation so maybe being damp won't hurt but the nasty would be a big NO from me.

MP...let those eggs first dry before wiping them off (for the same reason that you are not supposed to (wet) wash hatching eggs)... since you paid for those eggs I can understand why you would want to try to hatch but if it were me I would demand a replacement... those eggs should have been (dry) cleaned before packing and then packed in CLEAN...DRY packing material. I will post more info shortly on why you should not in principle try to hatch "dirty" eggs and what exactly is meant by that .

I have only shipped eggs one time and that was for the Feb. swap thread. however even mine were packaged better than that and made it to IN. fine. I sure hope that you have a good hatch and are not out alot of money.

They eggs were packed with care. no broken ones huh? Chicken eggs we ship with just newspaper..Goose and duck eggs always straw or hay.
it's natural...and keeps them nice and comfy.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm
(CARE
AND INCUBATION OF HATCHING EGGS
Dr. Tom W. Smith, Emeritus Professor of Poultry Science, Mississippi State University)
"Keep only clean eggs for hatching. Do not wash dirty eggs or wipe eggs clean with a damp cloth. This removes the egg's protective coating and exposes it to entry of disease organisms. The washing and rubbing action also serves to force disease organisms through the pores of the shell.
.....Slightly soiled eggs can be used for hatching purposes without causing hatching problems, but dirty eggs should not be saved. Do not wash dirty eggs. "

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_wash.html
"The washing of hatching eggs is not recommended although many producers think that visual cleanliness will increase their chances of incubation success. It is more important to stress providing good nesting facilities and frequent egg collection to reduce egg contamination. Cleaning of eggs will then become unnecessary.

The reason that washing is harmful is that washing aides bacteria to penetrate the egg shell through the small egg shell pores. The egg has many natural defenses to prevent the bacteria from moving through the shell. Washing removes the egg shell's natural defenses against bacterial entry, and water provides an environment that allows the organisms to literally swim through the shell pores. When this occurs, the egg is overwhelmed by more bacteria than it can destroy and egg contamination results. Several washing aids and antibiotics have been tested to destroy the bacteria but have not consistently improved egg hatchability.

If dirty eggs must be used for hatching, it is recommended that they be incubated in an incubator separate from the clean eggs. This will prevent contamination of clean eggs and chicks if the dirty eggs explode and during hatching."

now I am not saying that hatching eggs are never "treated" however the methods used will not help in your situation MP see here:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS018
Penetration of the hatching egg shell by microorganisms results in embryonic mortality, weak chicks, high chick mortality, and poor chick growth. The most effective sanitation system involves treating the eggs as soon as they are collected from the nest and before microorganisms penetrate the shell. ..."

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/contamination_hatching_eggs.html
"Contamination of Hatching Eggs
Where Does Microbial Contamination Come From?
Bacteria and mold which can affect hatching eggs are found everywhere in the environment - in soil, in manure, and even on the dust particles in the air. The most common way hatching eggs become contaminated is by allowing fresh eggs to lay in dirty nests or on the floor and slats.

How Does Microbial Contamination Affect the Eggs and Chicks?
When a large number of bacteria get onto the shell surface, the chances of bacteria invading the egg increase. Bacteria inside the egg may use the nutrients found in the egg to multiply, robbing the embryo of a crucial food source or perhaps producing a toxin harmful to the embryo. During incubation, bacteria can actually prevent embryonic development, ultimately causing the embryo to die. Even if the embryo of a contaminated egg survives hatching, the chick will either die in the broiler house or simply not grow as it should.

Contaminated eggs that fail to hatch in the incubator can also affect other, healthy eggs. If one contaminated egg should crack in the incubator, it may spread bacteria to other eggs or newly hatched chicks. In fact, one egg can affect an entire incubator.

Does the Egg Possess Any Anti-microbial Defenses?
Although bacteria and mold can easily find a path into a cracked egg, the intact egg possesses many defenses that prevent microbial infection. Barriers that protect the egg include the cuticle, the shell, the shell membrane and the albumen or egg white (see Figure 1).

A protein layer located on the shell surface is called the "cuticle." The cuticle helps occlude, or cover over, some of the pore openings to minimize bacterial penetration. Sometimes, though, if the cuticle layer is thin, the pores are too large or the shell too thin, bacteria can enter through the pore of the shell. If this should happen, the shell has two membranes lining the inside of it which act like a filter to prevent penetration. Additionally, the albumen contains natural compounds which can kill any bacteria that may evade the egg's other protective features.

However protected the egg may seem, if the number of bacteria is too great, the natural defenses cannot prevent invasion. Good management practices are essential to minimize the assault of bacteria upon freshly laid hatching eggs.

What Management Strategies Can Be Practiced to Reduce Egg Contamination?
Collect eggs frequently to minimize the time that they are exposed to a contaminated environment.

Keep egg laying areas as clean as possible, including the nest litter or pads.

Remove eggs to the egg cooler as soon as possible after lay; cooler temperatures will slow the growth of bacteria on the shell surface.

Prevent moisture from accumulating on the shell. Moisture provides a needed nutrient for microbial growth and might also provide a medium to aid the movement of microbes through the shell.

Use authorized egg shell sanitation or fumigation programs properly.

Minimize the number of cracked or broken eggs. Egg contents can provide nutrients for the bacteria to multiply and spread.

Avoid abrasive cleaning of the egg which can affect the integrity of the shell.

Increase efforts to minimize contamination as the breeder flock's age increases. The shell becomes thinner with age and more prone to bacterial infection.
References
Lucore, L. M.S. Thesis, 1994. NC State University. "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom