Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
What a great thread. Thank you!
Just a question. I have some Bantam Saxony Duck eggs I've just placed in my incubator.
Do you think there is much difference to your geese thread to my eggs. Will it be ok for me to go by this you think?
this is a good starting point for all waterfowl (geese, ducks, Muscovies.....)

chickens dont need the same misting/cooling

Not sure if anyone has any input but we have a pair of buff geese who hatched a round of goslings earlier this year but since 4/7 were gotten by something, we took the remaining 3 away from the parents but they laid another clutch of 9 eggs all due to hatch around this weekend. This AM, one new gosling was out with mom and dad and we checked the nest and there was one other gosling there. The remaining 7 eggs were left but mom and dad hung out with the newly hatched 2 for the whole day. The eggs felt warm in AM but now are cool. We don't have an incubator but I decided to take the eggs (it has been about 8-12 hrs since mom has been to the nest) and put them in a nest in a bucket with a moist towel over them and the heat lamp from the chicken brooder on them. I put the eggs on the counter to see if there was an orientation (Pete said the air sac should roll up) before putting them in the "nest." Is this a hopeless endeavor? Anything else I can do to help these slowpokes hatch (you guys seem to say the hatch process can take 24-48 hrs)? I can find a flashlight to try and candle....

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has any input but we have a pair of buff geese who hatched a round of goslings earlier this year but since 4/7 were gotten by something, we took the remaining 3 away from the parents but they laid another clutch of 9 eggs all due to hatch around this weekend. This AM, one new gosling was out with mom and dad and we checked the nest and there was one other gosling there. The remaining 7 eggs were left but mom and dad hung out with the newly hatched 2 for the whole day. The eggs felt warm in AM but now are cool. We don't have an incubator but I decided to take the eggs (it has been about 8-12 hrs since mom has been to the nest) and put them in a nest in a bucket with a moist towel over them and the heat lamp from the chicken brooder on them. I put the eggs on the counter to see if there was an orientation (Pete said the air sac should roll up) before putting them in the "nest." Is this a hopeless endeavor? Anything else I can do to help these slowpokes hatch (you guys seem to say the hatch process can take 24-48 hrs)? I can find a flashlight to try and candle....
I think candling might tell you a lot, mom and dad may have known those eggs weren't going to hatch and they needed to tend to these new goslings. Trying to keep the humidity where it should be to hatch the rest even if they had a chance would probably be near to impossible with out an incubator. I believe if something got the other gosling that hatched in the spring I'd be locking them up tight at night till they got older. [with mom and dad of course]

Wow, what an awesome job and all the information. I really wish I had read this article before I had putmy very special muscovy eggs in the incubator.

Can anyone tell me how long after hatching will a muscovy start e ting and drinking? And what is best to feed them?

Back
Top Bottom