Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pete55, Apr 24, 2011.

1. cpac123

cpac123 New Egg

May 4, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    The only thing I found hard to understand was the timescales, my goose was internally pipping for at least 18 hrs before I intervened and a further 33 hrs before I helped him out of his shell...I trusted my gut feeling but how long I should have left it was a question I couldn't find an answer to

2. cpac123

cpac123 New Egg

May 4, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Sorry that was 36 hrs of internal piping not 18

3. RugenerGooser

RugenerGooser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    Thank you so much for this! I was wondering if anyone has used or is currently using the Brinsea Ovascope for candling and checking egg progression. I just ordered one. I have been using incu-bright lights but find they are not always bright enough with goose eggs. Nothing is too good for the kids, though. Thanks for any comments.

January

4. psue

psue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
  5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    A standard good quality pen torch should be adequate although mine is a LED mains candler.

Pete [​IMG]

6. RugenerGooser

Apr 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    Thanks Pete! The Brinsea is quite nice, but I have to candle the goose eggs with the back open. I will also try your suggestion. I learn a lot from your postings. You are appreciated.

January

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi. I think mine is called an LED Egglux but also mains operated with adapter. Here's a picture of it and in use which might help you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RugenerGooser

Apr 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    I am going to order one. I have a Welch-Allyn exam light about that size that is pretty bright that goes with an otoscope/ophthalmoscope I use for medical and veterinary purposes. I can probably use that until the Pennlux arrives. Thanks again, Pete.

January

9. Wolfie Huff

Wolfie Huff Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Your work is fantastic. remindes me of a textbook. Im incubating and hatching because something always get the eggs. last year we were excited cause mama goose had 12. something.got them in one night.

Once hatched how come such a small area. is that why mine wobbles and falls over.

10. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Your article was a very fascinating read. I have a question for you and hope you get back with me ASAP.
    I have a goose egg that was peeping and appeared to be stuck. I chipped away some of the egg last night. This morning, it was the same as I left it. I pulled away a little more of the egg and a tiny bit of the membrane and it started bleeding. I put it back in the bater but it really scared me. What do I do now? Do you think it will be ok? Thanks for any help you can give me .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by