Goose Laying 3 Eggs at Once?

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
Has this been heard of before? We were initially excited that our 9-month-old goose started laying eggs. We found 3 in a nest she built in the barn. I noticed a small hole in the straw yesterday, but this morning it was a full nest. And there were three eggs pretty visible there after she got out of it.

I assumed she had been laying them the last few days, and we just didn't notice till this morning. She seemed pretty normal today, but now I'm seeing she's extra tired compared to the other three and wanting to sleep while they wander around (she continues to follow them but is more delayed). And her legs and feet look much paler than her bill and the others' legs and bills.

So now we're wondering if she did just lay all 3 at once and isn't feeling well? Even if she didn't lay all three at once, is there anything we should do for her if she's feeling more tired now?

What feed is she on and has she been eating normally?

It was very snowy for a while, so they were mostly eating regular duck feed (not a layer feed, but I'm not sure of the brand, from Rural King) plus hay that we gave them. But now that the snow has melted for now, they're mostly eating grass again with the duck feed given to them at night. I think she's eating normally, though I don't know for sure.

I have seen her eating throughout today though, just not sure if it's as much as she usually does or not. And she seems to be drinking water fine. One of the poops I saw a little bit ago was green but not as solid. But I think everyone's is kind of mushy right now, too? It's been rainy the last couple days as well.

Now that we know she's laying eggs, we put out oyster shell for her, too. She's following the others around, but just much more behind (she's usually lagging behind and the last one in the group, so I didn't notice a difference at first till I saw that she was sleeping while the others were eating grass).

Well it sounds like she’s sick but it’s hard to say with what. Have you examined her and felt her keel? If she’s underweight her keel will feel pronounced and thin.

You could try giving her a high protein feed, the pale legs make me think she’s anemic. It can be from laying, but my girls aren’t usually affected that badly so it sounds like something is off.
The anemia could also be from intestinal parasites or infection. You could start her on Corid and a round of safeguard. I would say to give her vitamins, b vitamins will boost her immune system however it will make the Corid ineffective. So maybe give her a dose of vitamins before she starts the five day Corid treatment.
If she worsens on the treatment something more might be going on, like a bacterial infection, that makes it trickier. If you can’t get diagnostic testing you can try using a broad spectrum antibiotic(s) baytril and metronidazole, both of which can be purchased online as fish antibiotics.

What protein percentage is the duck feed?
Sorry, I keep forgetting to check the feed bag's protein when I go out to the barn!

How is your goose @The Dim Side ?
I think her legs are less pale than they were before. It's hard to get too close to her though because she's so skittish (and FAST!). I think she is still seeming a little more tired than the others (napping while they're eating the couple times I had seen), but she's also the only one laying eggs right now (and it's her first time). So maybe she's just getting used to that?

She still seems to be eating and drinking normally though, and she keeps wanting to mate. But I do worry because both boys are trying to mate with her at once, taking turns (she really doesn't seem to want the younger one and chases him off still, lol).

Sorry, I keep forgetting to check the feed bag's protein when I go out to the barn!

I think her legs are less pale than they were before. It's hard to get too close to her though because she's so skittish (and FAST!). I think she is still seeming a little more tired than the others (napping while they're eating the couple times I had seen), but she's also the only one laying eggs right now (and it's her first time). So maybe she's just getting used to that?

She still seems to be eating and drinking normally though, and she keeps wanting to mate. But I do worry because both boys are trying to mate with her at once, taking turns (she really doesn't seem to want the younger one and chases him off still, lol).
It could be an issue with not enough protein, I can’t say for certain without knowing but some duck feed is only around 17% protein and geese usually need more than that in winter or if they’re laying or molting.
If you have any dry cat food it can be used in a pinch to boost their protein intake. Sometimes putting some in a bucket of water can encourage them to try it.

Goosebaby is on point. Just some thoughts though, do you have other girls that could be laying my geese are great at moving eggs and nests. Few of the girls our outright thieves once a egg is laid they will roll it to there nest. Gets a little confusing during breeding season so I pen them all separated. One of the best ways I have found to up protein and vitamin e with the geese is to add Shelled sunflower and safflower seeds to there feed most feed store's carry them. If there not shelled they turn there nose up. But shelled they love them. Just a thought but dont overfeed them. By the way all my geese that go broody just go a little nuts..

Back
Top Bottom