Goose mating with my duck?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I filled up my duck/goose pool a few minutes ago with clean water. I am usually too busy in the mornings to watch them swim, but since it is a weekend I stayed and watched. I have several different duck breeds and 2 different breeds of geese, I have 9 female ducks, 1 male duck, i gander, and 1 goose. Anyways, 1st my dominate White Chinese goose jumped in the pool with the two fawn & white Indian Runners. The gander (at least I am pretty sure it's a male) nibbled at the ducks a bit because he probably wanted the pool to himself,then the Black Indian runner jumped in , and things got a little odd. The Runner, a female, laid flat on the water in the submissive mating position. Then the gander grabbed on to her tail feathers and sat on her head!
ep.gif
She started quaking and struggling, so I ran over there and they all tumbled out of the pool. They are only 14 weeks old, they are still babies, why are they trying to breed already? I have another goose, a Brown Chinese that I think is a female, so why is he mating with ducks anyway? Do you think he will injure or kill my ducks? Now I am a little worried and rather disturbed, if you know what I mean!
idunno.gif

I'm not sure what was going on with your goose but I doubt he was actually trying to breed. It is probably kind of like in the spring when the females act like males and look like they are trying to breed another female. Kind of an instinct thing but they don't know what they are really doing. We have a bit of white PVC pipe that is the color of eggs that is sticking out of the ground and two of my 11 week old female goslings keep trying to sit on it like its an egg. Even to the point they sit on it and start taking bits of leaves and twigs and tucking around them just like they would do in the nest. They obviously have no idea at this point what an egg is and why they would even want to sit on it so I account their behavior as pure instinct as well, even at their young age.

Ok, good, I was a little scared there for a moment.
wink.png
I just hope the goose doesn't hurt my duck!
big_smile.png

My chinese gander mates all my ducks all the time. the pekin, swedes, Khakis and even the mallard. They don't seem to mind, though he does SINK them, and in the beginning, I worried they'd drown. They sort of pester him, then put their necks out flat, and he climbs on... they sink, then a minute later, he keels over, then rights himself, throws his wings back (not out to the sides, but they look very pointy), and screams a victory scream... reminds me a little bit of college...

Wow! It seems like I have some interesting birds on my hands LOL.
gig.gif
Now I have a new question, Will I end up with some gucks and deese?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
th.gif
Seriously, no, you won't have gucks and deese. Two different species and different number of chromosomes. While they can make whoopie, no one will be surprised with odd chicks. Well, no odder than ducks or geese
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom