Goose or Gander?

farmgirlie1031

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
IA
I bought three Sebastopol hatching eggs last spring. I don't think this goose is a purebred but that's another story. If anyone knows what it might be crossed with I'd love to know. I have been calling it a gander but I am not 100% sure on that either so any help would be great. Thanks so much.
big_smile.png

Goosey_in_the_Autumn_Grasses_by_angelandspot.jpg

4017877-1-goosey.jpg

4017909-1-he-can-honk.jpg

Look at the carriage. Low and with a thick looking neck. Kinda takes you over to the buff, or other meat geese. I have 3 buff and african crosses, dark feathering of course, but similar if not larger from those pics of yours. Just brainstorming and first thought would be embden cross

nice pics

Last edited:
It looks like a very nice smooth breasted sebastopol . You might check with the people to see if they had smooth sebs. The head is very nice and having a thick straight neck is good and nice and wide in the front. I wouldn't part with him yet. Smooth to curly still produces some curlys.

I am a Sebastopol breeder and raise and sell Sebastopols. I agree that she looks like she is probably a smooth breasted Sebastopol She desn't look like she has much of her feathering in yet. I would give her more time. Dorothy
asebastopolsselect.com

Thank you everyone. I guess I'll be looking at getting this one a partner in the spring. I thought is was a mixed breed since it didn't have the Sebby-type feathers on the breast so I was gonna just keep it as a pet.

She looks like a smooth Seb to me, and she has a beautiful head and nice round eyes. She looks like a keeper to me. Smooth to curly Sebs produces nice birds!

I have a very mixed flock of feather types and colors. Th goose in the right rear of this pic is much like your girl.

goslings885.jpg

I've got a bunch of them. I picked them up at a livestock auction earlier this year for 10 bucks each. I guess the breeder who culled them from his flock already had plenty of smooths. I love them, and have since aquired a couple of "poofy" ones, lol. They are pretty hard to photograph because they come running to beg for attention as soon as they see me. You actually have to run from them to get enough distance to get a picture off.
19063_000_3509.jpg
[/img]

Thanks, yes, they are awesome. I was never a "goose person". My only real association with geese was always at someone's farm where I was occasionally surrounded by a bunch of noisy, flappin' hissin', goofy lookin', Chinese or African, feathered trolls. Since I live on the waterfront of a lake, I also have to deal with those wild, Canadian, lawn killing poop machines. However a friend of mine has a few Sebbies, and when I visit, they are always at their best behavior. When these came up for auction, and no one seemed interested in them, I couldn't just watch someone else buy them for 9 bucks. I also figured that if I got them home and later realized that these geese weren't for me, I could easily find a buyer for them to recover my paultry investment in them.

Well it has been 5 or 6 months now, and they have become very good friends with me and my family. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to try geese, but isn't up for all the "antics" that a lot of the other breeds are known for.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom