Goose People-Please advise

phasian

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Oregon
I am a poultry farmer who also works in horticulture and work part-time for a nursery that supports urban homesteading. A woman has contacted me wanting to buy a single gosling from either myself (I have a pair of American Buffs- goose is brooding 7 eggs right now) or the nursery (we order poultry from hatcheries for backyard flock keepers).

Has anyone successfully brooded one gosling-- and would you recommend it?

This lady seems nice, and has decided she wants a single goose for a pet as she and her family connected with one over the winter that had been dumped at a public park, and has since been killed. I have been trying to dissuade her from raising a gosling on its lonesome. She has no interest in raising ducks or a second goose. For my part, I will not sell her one from my farm as I don't think it's a kindness to the gosling and the goose it will become. She is trying to get me to order a single Toulouse from a hatchery now through our nursery which certainly doesn't change my feelings about its quality of life, no matter how caring the family.

Any feedback on this would be helpful and appreciated. I hate to disappoint people but knowing how social these fowl are, I think she is being a little unrealistic.

I have a single gosling (the only one that hatched) and he is now 3 weeks old. He is totally well balanced, but we do spend a lot of time with him. Large plastic tub in the living room when we watch TV. Lap time and outdoor walking time. Our 4 large dogs are great with him. He will later joint the adult ducks once he is feathered in. It can be done as long as you socialize with him. I think it will be fine with that lady, since she had been there before. Animals are amazing and can deal with a lot of situations. Ignoring an animal in isolation will hurt. Having it as part of the family is fine.

I'm *very* new to this...novice doesn't even begin to describe me..LOL I just barely got my gosling (by mistake mind you), but I have mine with two ducklings. They are in heaven..the three of them. I know I personally wouldn't have one lonesome duck or goose, BUT mine are going to be outside with a nice pond, coop, garden area, and secure pen. There are those few that keep their ducks/geese as inside pets (diapers and all). I don't know if that would make a difference, if they plan on keeping the goose inside with the family as long as someone is home at all times. ??? Again..I'm new so I really don't know. I'd like to though!
wink.png

She contacted me through my website too. She wanted a toulouse, if I remember correctly. But then I got an email from her telling me that she was losing her house and that she couldn't take the gosling. Maybe I was mistaken. I know lots of people who have single goslings and they raise them indoors and they have wonderful lives so it can be done.

She even sent me pics of the gosling and of her son. She seems like a wonderful woman.

Laurie

There's no way to REALLY know how any animal will be treated once you sell it, but it sounds like you were uncomfortable with the idea... Do what feels right for you! and don't worry about dissapointing her. Phew! There's my two cents...

Thanks for all the feedback. It is really important to me to not sell on an animal that I feel might not have a good quality of life.

This will be her only bird-- no ducks, no chickens, just a single goose. I don't know how much time they plan to spend with it. She does say she is dedicated......

Knowing how much better off my animals are with companions, I have 2 dogs, 2 rabbits, in addition to the multiples of ducks, guineas, and chickens, I felt a little dubious having a goose living singly.

I think you should go with what you feel, also. It doesn't matter what others do as long as you feel OK with what you're doing. If you haven't told her already, tell her that you have a minimum gosling order of two (or they have to be ordered with at least two ducks) even if other hatcheries will sell her only one. Tell her it's your own business policy, nothing personal.

Again, thanks everyone. While I have absolutely no problem trusting my instincts and setting my own policies, I didn't want to tell someone that single goose raising is an absolute no-no if others have had healthy and happy animals from raising one by itself. I try to reserve judgement on husbandry practices that differ from my own. The important outcome to me are healthy, happy animals.

From my own experience it doesn't seem like the best course, but my goose experience is very new. My pair of Buffs are my first geese besides the ones that I worked with in wildlife rescue or the ones that used to be a daily part of life at the floating home I lived on prior to moving to the farm. I raised them from goslings with some Runner ducklings just a year ago and they have a very social life here. As a zoologist by education, it just feels wrong to have one on its own.

If the people are willing to take care of it as a full-time job until it's grown, and then keep giving it lots of attention for the next 20 years - yes, it's possible to have one goose as a pet.

Back
Top Bottom