GOOSE QUESTION WHICH ARE THE NICEST

leecey411

Crowing
16 Years
May 31, 2007
I would like some geese. What breed are the best natured, the kinds that do not chase and bite you?

Geese are similar to dogs. They are what you make them. If you are with them daily and work with them from the start they will imprint on you. They may decide not to like other people in your family and there isn't much you can do about it. I find embdens can be a bit more agrressive - childhood experiences. LOL

I have several breeds of geese. they all have very different personalities. I had 2 that were very aggressive and now they reside in my freezer.

Having my first experience with geese.

I have brown chinese and toulouse. The brown chinese are going to be dinner. They are more aggressive and NOISY, NOISY, NOISY. My dear toulouse is such a sweetheart and not nearly as vocal.

We will add some new toulouse goslings in the spring.

Some of the more docile breeds that "imprint", as MissPrissy said, are:

Buff
Pilgrim
Toulouse
Sebastopol

& I have found Africans to be an easy breed also.

If you donnot spend time with them then they will be aggressive towards you when you come around.

All of my geese are friendly, but my baby girl is Bella La Goosie, who is a brown chinese. She follows me everywhere and talks to me constantly. And likes to be picked up so she can hug me.
smile.png

I think alot of it has to do with how they are raised . I might be wrong but in my expirience the geese i personaly raised from goslings are much much more friendly than adults that i have bought from other people

Thanks for your help everyone! Years ago we had a gosling that we raised who loved me but my poor son and husband were chased and bitten until the goose was rehomed. My son still distrusts waterfowl! We have sweet muscovy ducks who follow us around and I thought a few geese would be nice, but I can not risk any aggressiveness, my neighbors children like to come see my animals and I do not want them attacked by a goose. Been there done that!

My two saddleback Pomeraniums are very, very sweet with me and Hansel (the male) has only hissed at one person - a neighbor who happens to be a man. It might have been b/c he had a hat on, I don't know.

They are bout 6 months old now and I'm not sure what Hansel thinks of my little granddaughter. I can't tell if he's beginning to get possesive of me (I hope not) or is just very curious of her. He will get very close to her and open his mouth, but doesn't hiss. I need to research this a little more and get him used to her.

Exactly why I'm getting rid of the Brown Chinese. I adore the one I got this spring, along with a Toulouse. She is sweet as can be to me and will sit in my lap at times.

However, she is driving my husband crazy following him all over the barnyard "HONKING" ... he says he doesn't have a 'nagging' wife, he isn't interested in a 'nagging' goose. She is also very protective of us. While she is sweet to most people, she HATES children and scared my little 2 yr old granddaughter terribly. She even tries to attack her when I am holding my granddaughter in my arms.

The Toulouse just cruises around the property, isn't nearly as noisy with her 'honking' and will go off on her own once she sees you are busy with something at the barnyard. She seems totally uninterested in 'posing' or 'attacking' any strangers.

I am totally enjoying the geese in my barnyard, but will be have a 'goose thanksgiving' and then add some Toulouse goslings in the spring.

My only experience really is with sebastopols. I cant say enough good things about them. They are sweet, friendly, relativly quiet..... They follow me around like puppies out in the yard.
Some are more shy than others. But most of them will eat from my hand.

They are very curious about company and come up to check out everyone that comes here. Some people are intimidated when the geese get so close. I always tell them.... "they wont bite you, but they might taste you". LOL at least they will nibble on their shoe strings.

There is no agression except during breeding season the boys can get very protective of their hens. The one gander I have that gets nasty with me during breeding season is also the first boy that will come up and eat from my hand the rest of the year......

Check out my Flickr page for updated photos of my Sebastopols.
(BTW I have a lavandar male for sale)

Back
Top Bottom