GOOSE QUESTION WHICH ARE THE NICEST

I only have Sebastopols. They have never bitten me or any visitor. They seem to adapt well to other animals and situations. They are funny too! great sense of humor. Zeena (white)took a bath in brown paint yesterday. I think she wanted to look like her mate Zander (gray) and it was a *&#$%#@%^ to clean her up! She looked like a raccoon on steroids! I was too mad to take a pic. Wish I had!

I second the Pomeranians, there is a feed store I like to go to and they have an adult pair that roam free through the property and at best they walk up and will grunt at you, and usually just walk away but they were also raised there with all the people; so you get what you put into them. We allways expose our birds to as many new people when they are young as possible so they get used to new faces they are a lot like dogs.

My females are all great (1 each of white chinese, talouse, and african), but my gander is a pain in the leg-but only for me and dh. I am primary caretaker (dh just humors me by stepping out for a minute to collect eggs or whatever when I'm not around to do so). the White Chinese ganger will bite me if I don't toss out a bit of scratch to the birds when I go out there. He gets bossy when I refill their water or enter their night-time pen. he's just a brat.

on the other hand, my friends come morning and night to take care of the birds when we're gone and he's never gotten within five feet of them or bothered their kids in any way (they love to come hunt colored eggs, lol).

If he weren't my only gander I might have gotten rid of him by now...I'm still considering finding a couple more goslings next year. I like my talouse, and my african. they are much quieter and aren't bossy. If I raise them with more personal attention than I did this group, maybe I'll be able to cut back on the bossiness a bit...maybe.

My geese are super vigilant and I think they are largely why I've had no casualties to my birds. I wouldn't want ot mess with them if I were a predator either!

I have three geese. None are friendly, as in lap pets, but they all walk up to me talking and asking for treats. I'm anxious to try to hatch eggs in the spring and see if the babies are more friendly.

IMG_1707_final.jpg

IMG_1703_final.jpg

ETA: Please excuse how dirty they are, my pond is sort of gross right now.
hmm.png

Last edited:
This is a great thread. I have two geese, a Toulouse and a Canada Goose. They are both people lovers. The Toulouse used to hiss a lot, but the Canada Goose has been a great influence on him/her.

I want to get another gosling next year, a different breed. The Sebastopols sounds like they might be a good bet.

Back
Top Bottom