Goose Question

appalachianchic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Here are my geese. They are my first geese ever. The goose laying down and the white were given to me when a woman wanted to focus on just her Sebies. She told me they were Chinese. I have witnessed the laying female trying to mate the white one before I got the other two in the picture. They are supposed to be both females. Reading online, I found out that is a dominance display. I wondered about that since the laying female was dominant at their old home and would not let the other geese set eggs or mother babies. The darker one is the most aggressive of them all. I got the other two and were told they are Chinese as well. The one behind the white one is the male and I saw him mating the white female who started laying this fall and decided to set. We took the eggs from her since it was too cold for babies and when checked, they weren't fertile. The back goose and the far left goose were hatched in May 2013. They look stump necked in this picture but when they are parading around the yard, they have long elegant necks. It was also pretty cold in that picture.

The question is:
Are mine Chinese or African?
When can I expect fertile eggs?
Why do the two younger geese have orangish bills and will they turn black?
Which are male or female?

Older two after I got them, first time on the pond. See how long their necks compared to the upper pic.

What we think is a female, neck isn't as long as older ones.

What we think is a male. His knob is much larger now, the same size as the older brown one.

They all look like crosses and the white gander is white chineseXafrican and the browns all look like females but is the goose with the orange beak longer then others?! And the one you think is a female is a cross of a chinese and a embdenand they have not full black beaks because they are mix breeds :)

Here are my geese. They are my first geese ever. The goose laying down and the white were given to me when a woman wanted to focus on just her Sebies. She told me they were Chinese. I have witnessed the laying female trying to mate the white one before I got the other two in the picture. They are supposed to be both females. Reading online, I found out that is a dominance display. I wondered about that since the laying female was dominant at their old home and would not let the other geese set eggs or mother babies. The darker one is the most aggressive of them all. I got the other two and were told they are Chinese as well. The one behind the white one is the male and I saw him mating the white female who started laying this fall and decided to set. We took the eggs from her since it was too cold for babies and when checked, they weren't fertile. The back goose and the far left goose were hatched in May 2013. They look stump necked in this picture but when they are parading around the yard, they have long elegant necks. It was also pretty cold in that picture.

The question is:
Are mine Chinese or African?
When can I expect fertile eggs?
Why do the two younger geese have orangish bills and will they turn black?
Which are male or female?

Older two after I got them, first time on the pond. See how long their necks compared to the upper pic.

What we think is a female, neck isn't as long as older ones.

What we think is a male. His knob is much larger now, the same size as the older brown one.
They´re gorgeous geese. And females will mount other females too, especially so when there´s no active male among them or interested in them.
They do look a bit like mixes, 'more or less' chinese..
tongue.png
(going by build, colour of bill, etc) but they´re still beautiful. That last pic of the youngster looks just a bit male-like to me...darker, and the carriage, too. Well you should get a nice lot of eggs from them, chinese are good layers, They obviously have a lot of chinese in them, but a pure chinese has a ridiculously long neck and a short body and they stand high on their legs. Africans are similar, but much bigger.
Maybe you have a male and 3 females...would be nice! Just for the record, I think the white one IS a goose, not gander, not only by how it looks, but also by the behaviour you told us about.
Have fun with your geese!

Back
Top Bottom