goose with some swelling of head/depression/anorexia/respiratory sounds

mllecompte

Hatching
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Please if anyone could give me some ideas about my goose-Samantha. He( yes he) is eleven years old and I love him dearly. Four days ago he started acting mildly depressed and would not eat. He appeared to not want to open his mouth and it sounded like he had an upper respiratory infection. I started him on Sulmet orally- he has received four doses and appears to be slightly improved ,but still not wanting to eat much. I wondered if anyone had any ideas about what this could be or what I should try to help him with. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Sincerely,
Michelle

Please if anyone could give me some ideas about my goose-Samantha. He( yes he) is eleven years old and I love him dearly. Four days ago he started acting mildly depressed and would not eat. He appeared to not want to open his mouth and it sounded like he had an upper respiratory infection. I started him on Sulmet orally- he has received four doses and appears to be slightly improved ,but still not wanting to eat much. I wondered if anyone had any ideas about what this could be or what I should try to help him with. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Sincerely,
Michelle
Maybe this info will help, I haven't heard of treating geese with sulmet so can't advise you on that medication I looked up meds for respiratory infections and they rec Tylan 50 injectable or powder. Lower respiratrory Penicillin Powder, and Pneumonia Tetracycline capsules. it shows sulmet would be used for cocci, kidney infections and some types of colds. So I think you need to try a different med. and make sure their is no moldy bedding where he sleeps or in his sleeping area. as for food maybe try mixing with a little warm water, or what kind of fruit dos he like water melon? I'd also get some good poultry vitamins and start him on them. I hope you can get him through this, please keep us updated. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm and Welcome.

Thank you so much for that information. Do you happen to know the dose of the Tylan powder? I will try mixing his food with warm water. Thank you again for your time and expertise.
Love my goose,
Michelle

Thank you so much for that information. Do you happen to know the dose of the Tylan powder? I will try mixing his food with warm water. Thank you again for your time and expertise.
Love my goose,
Michelle
All I could find on line was about the Tylan you add to drinking water and this is about a goose which looks to have respiratory issues. but here's the dosage. please let us know how he is doing.
Re: Goose with bump on side of face
Post by admin on Oct 23, 2009, 7:13pm

1 teaspoon per gallon is ok for the goose.... make sure he has medicated water ONLY... no other sources of water for the entire 10 days... he will drink and expell what he doesn't need... Tylan is very safe won't hurt him ..

Good that the gunk is clearing... or it could be bad.. that it is hardening and not able to drain...

Please keep us posted

Secure his pen especially at night time.. and give him shelter.. .. make sure he doesnt' chill

Got it- thanks again.
I will let you know how he does.
Michelle
Looking forward to hearing good report.
fl.gif

Well- I have good news to report. I purchased the Tylan powder yesterday evening-but before I could get it I wanted to try something- ( I just couldn't sit around doing nothing) so I filled up his bathtub and put some Oxine AH in the water. This morning I went down to take care of him and he seemed mildly better so I waited on the Tylan powder- this afternoon I went to fill up his bathtub with the Oxine added in and he jumped right in and ate two handfuls of his grain, some grass and some broccoli (his favorite)!!! Thank you so much for caring about my Samantha goose. If he continues to do well I won't start the Tylan- if he starts to decline again I will start it. Do you think that is a good plan?

Thanks again,
Michelle

Well- I have good news to report. I purchased the Tylan powder yesterday evening-but before I could get it I wanted to try something- ( I just couldn't sit around doing nothing) so I filled up his bathtub and put some Oxine AH in the water. This morning I went down to take care of him and he seemed mildly better so I waited on the Tylan powder- this afternoon I went to fill up his bathtub with the Oxine added in and he jumped right in and ate two handfuls of his grain, some grass and some broccoli (his favorite)!!! Thank you so much for caring about my Samantha goose. If he continues to do well I won't start the Tylan- if he starts to decline again I will start it. Do you think that is a good plan?

Thanks again,
Michelle
I think that's an awesome plan, no sense using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I also use Oxine Ah sorry I didn't think about it when we first talked.. and so happy to hear he is doing so much better, hoping he will continue.

Just wanted to update you on my Samantha goose- he is doing great- almost completely back to normal. I continued the oxine AH baths for about five days. Thank you again for your time and concern.
Sincerely,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom