Gosling aspiration help

zydrate

Chirping
Apr 16, 2020
My geese hatched their own goslings, so they simply walk around with them, this morning all of them were fine and excited to get out of the pen and eat, as always. Much later in the day I noticed one was acting lethargic while swimming with the others, just floating around and looking tired. A couple hours later when I went to put them up for the night, it wasn't with the other geese and I found it sitting down falling asleep still near the water, but not in it.

I can clearly hear a crackling noise as it breathes, it definitely sounds like it inhaled water, no idea how but considering I've seen the parents accidently step on them in shallow water dishes before, I know it isn't impossible.
It perks up when I pick it up, wide eyed and chirping, and I know it wasn't sickly acting earlier today, but the moment I set it down, it doesn't try to follow its group and just stands for a few minutes before sitting back down.
Is there anything I can do to help it?

If you can get VetrX a drop down their right side of the throat can help clear up mild respiratory issues. Some oregano oil and/or a small bit of crushed garlic in their water will also act as a natural antibiotic and help boost their immune system. Crushing fresh oregano oil into water can also help.

Try to keep them somewhere warm and dry inside where you can observe them and so they can keep stable until they improve, maybe under a heat lamp if it gets too cool wherever you are this time of year.

I have reason to beleive it may be Aspergillosis, as one morning there was mold growth near their food dish, and the symptoms match up. The older gosling died, I'm upset, a younger one is now showing symptoms and I've removed them from the pen. I'm having a hard time finding out how to treat this, is there something I could buy from tractor supply, or is this a vet only treatment thing? I know their chances are very low once they have this, but I'd really like to try anyways. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have reason to beleive it may be Aspergillosis, as one morning there was mold growth near their food dish, and the symptoms match up. The older gosling died, I'm upset, a younger one is now showing symptoms and I've removed them from the pen. I'm having a hard time finding out how to treat this, is there something I could buy from tractor supply, or is this a vet only treatment thing? I know their chances are very low once they have this, but I'd really like to try anyways. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Some vets will prescribe Fluconazole but it does not work on asper, itraconazole is usually what’s prescribed and works better than some of the others but it takes months of treatment to be rid of it, sometimes it only suppresses it only for the fungus to start regrowing in the lungs at a later date.
Any of the azoles “itraconazole included” are hard on the body, they can be toxic to the heart and liver so sometimes by the time you’ve eliminated Asper the organs are failing from being under constant attack from the fungus and the medications to kill the fungus, I found this out the hard way with my gander Thor.
You can buy itraconazole without a prescription as a fish antibiotic http://www.antibioticsforfish.com/product-category/itraconazole/ but there’s no way to know if it’s truly of equal quality and potency as those given to humans, most think they are the same but there’s no way to say for certain.

Here’s the advised dosage from Poultrydvm F7C3D0DB-CD95-4858-9C57-3C6D7C5A06CF.jpeg
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/aspergillosis

Honestly though you would be best getting an opinion and some testing from a vet to be sure it’s Asper and not some sort of bacterial lung infection, which isn’t necesarily less dangerous, but easier and safer to treat in a lot of cases.

The advised dosage from poultrydvm is also questionable, the mg/kg dose looks right, but only giving it once after 5 days for a total of 16 days doesn’t sound right. Symptoms might dissipate by then but the fungus is still alive after 16 days.

A vet would know more and give better advise than me though.

Back
Top Bottom