Gosling can’t walk suddenly

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
Really worried as I came outside to check on the goslings only to see that one of them can’t walk. It seems to be one foot that it can’t fully stand on, I’ve checked it all over and I can’t see any injury and he doesn’t flail or act in pain when I touch or move any part of it and it all seems to be mobile :^( what could this be? Should I just leave him to heal? Is it maybe a sprain of some sort? Other than the foot he’s still very active, chirping, eating and drinking when it’s placed infront of him, I can’t think what might be wrong

how old is the gosling?
i wonder if an insect bit ,or maybe she stepped on a bee? maybe twisted ankle? I know ducks are really good at hiding their pain so maybe goslings are too? I hope she is better after some rest

how old is the gosling?
i wonder if an insect bit ,or maybe she stepped on a bee? maybe twisted ankle? I know ducks are really good at hiding their pain so maybe goslings are too? I hope she is better after some rest
Good news! He’s already back up and running, I checked the camera and a magpie tried to get him so I think he was in shock 😢 he’s only over a week old but I think he just needed a couple minutes to lie down and now he’s running around like nothing happened smh! Heart attack for nothing 😓

Good news! He’s already back up and running, I checked the camera and a magpie tried to get him so I think he was in shock 😢 he’s only over a week old but I think he just needed a couple minutes to lie down and now he’s running around like nothing happened smh! Heart attack for nothing 😓
A magpie? I didn't realize they were predatory. Mine used to stand on one leg when they were younger and I thought it was an issue so I made sure they were getting Nicacin in their food. They still stand on one leg here and there, but now I think it's just to relax.

A magpie? I didn't realize they were predatory. Mine used to stand on one leg when they were younger and I thought it was an issue so I made sure they were getting Nicacin in their food. They still stand on one leg here and there, but now I think it's just to relax.
Yes definitely keep an eye out for magpies! They’re huge gosling and duckling killers, there’s a population of wild geese around here and a few of their babies got killed by them sadly 😢 and yes it seems that sometimes geese just like to stand on one leg lol, I see a lot do it from time to time!

Back
Top Bottom