gosling pulling siblings new feathers

I have a 1 yr old toulouse gander, very sweet, and a 1 yr old embden goose. she’s too rough for him, that’s a bit of why we got the 2 goslings, also toulouse. (french toulouse is what the hatchery has them as)

do you have tips on introducing them?
the older geese are interested. the embden seems aggressive tho… the gander hasn’t seemed aggressive but, i’m no goose behavior expert.
they can see eachother through a fence while the goslings are outside.

and twice we’ve taken the goslings in walks while the geese were out and there were no issues; everyone just marched along behind me. once we took them out and there was chasing off actions done by both older geese. head down and following.

these 2 girls are meant to help the gander have a sweet calm friend, like himself. one who isn’t just crazy. our embden is a bit of an over reactive scaredy-cat and she’s aggressive with mating.

My Toulouse goose was the aggressor with my Embden gander they were a pair for 10 yrs we lost our gander a year ago, he was almost 15. She was always the one who instigated mating. he was the protector though. They never were able to hatch any goslings of their own though so we got them 2 goslings it took about 3 weeks before they accepted the goslings enough I felt the goslings were safe with them without me being always there. I just kept taking the goslings out daily we'd walk and the adults would follow then one day the goslings started following the pair. So you just have to be patient. It takes time but so worth it. The breeds dif have different personalities. Sam was so protective of Missy and she was indifferent to his protectiveness maybe because she just knew he would always be there for her. It was quite a shock for her and me when we lost him. Now she just has me and the rest of the flock which is ducks and chickens.

I’m so sorry about your gander.
hmm, i wonder if it’s just the dynamic between them.
my toulouse is greg. the embden goose is Mrs.Peepers. she was the cuddly one while little. Hasn’t let me touch her since the beginning of mating season. Meanwhile not greg will let me touch him on his chest. He’s also doing a dominance thing, i think? since he’s known about the goslings. he will puff up his feathered, loudly honk with head lifted bill pointed up, and kindof quickly approach me, and i’ll get low to pet his chest. i think he thinks i’ve had babies.

It's amazing you get to pet Greg since its mating season boy if I wanted to get bitten then I got to pet Sam but I learned it isn't worth it boy they can hurt. He was a mush when mating season was over though.
Yeah they go through these hormonal stages during breeding season.
Sam use to walk with his head held so high I expected him to fall onto his back but he never did lol
He was the best papa goose ever though. Not only to the goslings but before Missy came along he loved the ducklings too.
I can't imagine your 2 not falling in love with the new goslings they just have such a maternal instinct.

Back
Top Bottom