Gosling started walking backwards and I think it's dying

Dave Sgro

In the Brooder
May 31, 2017
NW Ohio
had three Toulouse goslings two female one male. Lost one female within 30 hrs of arrival from metzers farm. I thought that it was due to shipping or stress. This evening returned home and brought them out for a romp in the yard before it got dark and noticed my other female was lethargic and rocking and walking backwards did some research and was suggested to use a health pack. So bought save a chick electrolyte and vitamin tried giving it to her by dropper she won't drink it so I placed her in some warm water thinking she might need to poop and that she may drink from swimming water . She did drink and poo but she even swam backward. She is currently almost completely limp and lethargic unless I make a noise she will lift her head up. I haven't seen her eat this evening but she is still pooping regularly and my wife saw her eating today. It just came on so quick. They hatched Sunday the fourth of June their bedding is pine shavings they are eating purina starter crumbles when th 20 percent protein have a brooder light at the right temp. Male is fine and happy and running around but so was my female yesterday. Please help

had three Toulouse goslings two female one male. Lost one female within 30 hrs of arrival from metzers farm. I thought that it was due to shipping or stress. This evening returned home and brought them out for a romp in the yard before it got dark and noticed my other female was lethargic and rocking and walking backwards did some research and was suggested to use a health pack. So bought save a chick electrolyte and vitamin tried giving it to her by dropper she won't drink it so I placed her in some warm water thinking she might need to poop and that she may drink from swimming water . She did drink and poo but she even swam backward. She is currently almost completely limp and lethargic unless I make a noise she will lift her head up. I haven't seen her eat this evening but she is still pooping regularly and my wife saw her eating today. It just came on so quick. They hatched Sunday the fourth of June their bedding is pine shavings they are eating purina starter crumbles when th 20 percent protein have a brooder light at the right temp. Male is fine and happy and running around but so was my female yesterday. Please help
So sorry for your trouble. This other thread is related, correct?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gosling-dying-in-my-hands.1178655/#post-18572521
Good idea to put it in Emergencies. I taged @Wyorp Rock and @rebrascora over there, should have done that here, :oops:. Hope she recovers :fl

I'm afraid I have no experience of goslings at all but it sounds neurological. The only thing I can suggest is Vitamin B supplement and carefully dropper it into her mouth if she won't drink, but please defer to any other poster's advice as I really don't know.

That's where I'm at...I just don't know enough about ducks/geese to suggest much.
Vitamin B supplement with some Vitamin E and Selenium. It does sound neurological - the walking backwards, so possibly nutritional/vitamin deficiency, but it could also be from injury or disease.

As suggested earlier - consult a vet if you have one or contact Metzer to see if they can help out.

Let see if @Amiga @Miss Lydia @casportpony @Eggcessive have better ideas.

I'm afraid I have no experience of goslings at all but it sounds neurological. The only thing I can suggest is Vitamin B supplement and carefully dropper it into her mouth if she won't drink, but please defer to any other poster's advice as I really don't know.
That's where I'm at...I just don't know enough about ducks/geese to suggest much.
Vitamin B supplement with some Vitamin E and Selenium. It does sound neurological - the walking backwards, so possibly nutritional/vitamin deficiency, but it could also be from injury or disease.

As suggested earlier - consult a vet if you have one or contact Metzer to see if they can help out.

Let see if @Amiga @Miss Lydia @casportpony @Eggcessive have better ideas.
Thank you for responding. From reading threads - extra vita B was all I could think of but having no experience with ducks or geese myself, I don't feel confident to advise.

Back
Top Bottom