Gosling with Separation Anxiety to Humans

It's the goose on the left in the pic above? Looks just like my French Toulouse goslings, but could be a different breed because their beaks were turning a bit yellow by this stage.
Yes! The one on the left. Here's another photo for more visibility. (I think some of his belly was just wet, but the lighter part is just his coloring.)

signal-2021-04-04-230721.jpeg

He has some white/lighter color parts of the feathers, too. And I'm not sure if Romans ever have non-white feathers. Or if it's possible he's a hybrid if the mom mated with anyone else at that time? I don't know anything about geese, so I'm not sure what the circumstances could be!

And as an update to all, we did just get our second gosling today! But can I get recommendations on how to get them together?

I think you older one thinks he's a human. It's a common delusion and you aren't going to get him past it. You just have to convince him the new one is a member of your flock too.

With mine I use some hand signals to communicate. Standing facing them with arms up like a Y is move away. One arm up and the other parallel to the ground is turn in the direction of the parallel arm. Both hand above my head is come and get it. It helps if you start by directing them to places you know they're going to go. You can add audible commands too so that if they can't see you you can still call them. Reinforcing the Come command with food will pay off when you're trying to get them out of a pond.

I'd suggest imposing yourself between them and signaling move away when the older one gets aggressive. It needs to be established that he's a member if the group, but you're the boss. Once that gets through, spend time with them together and establish a no. I use a firm No with a spread hand palm down and parallel to the ground about waist height. No is really just stop doing that.

They don't always get it, or maybe don't always want to, but if you use the same interactions with both of them they'll eventually pull together. Especially if you run them around the yard once a day (or lead them, the turn signals work from either direction and following is easier if you've already impressed them). It might sound like lots if wasted effort for two geese, but it does make putting them in at night much easier.

I think you older one thinks he's a human. It's a common delusion and you aren't going to get him past it. You just have to convince him the new one is a member of your flock too.

With mine I use some hand signals to communicate. Standing facing them with arms up like a Y is move away. One arm up and the other parallel to the ground is turn in the direction of the parallel arm. Both hand above my head is come and get it. It helps if you start by directing them to places you know they're going to go. You can add audible commands too so that if they can't see you you can still call them. Reinforcing the Come command with food will pay off when you're trying to get them out of a pond.

I'd suggest imposing yourself between them and signaling move away when the older one gets aggressive. It needs to be established that he's a member if the group, but you're the boss. Once that gets through, spend time with them together and establish a no. I use a firm No with a spread hand palm down and parallel to the ground about waist height. No is really just stop doing that.

They don't always get it, or maybe don't always want to, but if you use the same interactions with both of them they'll eventually pull together. Especially if you run them around the yard once a day (or lead them, the turn signals work from either direction and following is easier if you've already impressed them). It might sound like lots if wasted effort for two geese, but it does make putting them in at night much easier.
Thank you so much! This is helpful information for training them. Fortunately, they are getting along overall now, it took a little getting used to though, haha. And the older one will still occasionally get a little nippy, but I think having that constant company is more comforting than not having it!

I'll definitely start to train them with some commands because I didn't even think about trying to get them out of the pond if they don't want to, hahaha. And if they both already follow us around wherever we go, is that something that will continue to happen as they get older? Or will they eventually just start doing their own thing? They're (at least the older one is) more okay with letting there be some distance between us, but if we get too far away or disappear, they'll worry and look for us. I assumed once they grow up, they won't care about us. But I don't know how the flock dynamic would affect that. Thanks again!

Hahaha, so I just need to make sure I'm having a good time when I need them to come to me! Thanks!
Mine's hit that teenager stage where sometime he ignores me. I'll walk toward him to try to catch him and he'll dodge a couple steps, so I turn around and start trotting. In an instant he's on my heels, afraid he's getting left out of something. That's how I get him in the house when he doesn't want to go. :)

Mine's hit that teenager stage where sometime he ignores me. I'll walk toward him to try to catch him and he'll dodge a couple steps, so I turn around and start trotting. In an instant he's on my heels, afraid he's getting left out of something. That's how I get him in the house when he doesn't want to go. :)
Yeah, we're getting closer to that, I think! The older one is a little more okay with having some distance between us while outside, though the younger one comes back close after a while, and the older follows. Neither like it when we're completely out of site though, and they cry and run around, haha.

Yeah, we're getting closer to that, I think! The older one is a little more okay with having some distance between us while outside, though the younger one comes back close after a while, and the older follows. Neither like it when we're completely out of site though, and they cry and run around, haha.
I think I'm going to do what you have done and adopt a second to be friends with the older one. Hopefully they will bond and some of the separation issues with me will ease.

The separation anxiety isn't so much being attached to humans, it's being terrified to be alone. Chicks, ducklings, goslings, any baby bird is used to hatching and being with a group of siblings and it's mother. When you take all of that away they feel unprotected and vulnerable. Whenever you get any flock animal it should always be in a pair or more. Especially babies. You really need another gosling or be prepared for the behavior to continue, (and likely escalate). I hope everything works out for you and the little one.
We hand raised a goose from 2 weeks old. It had separeation anxiety for awhile until it grew all of her feathers. When small I had her in the pocket of my apron so I could keep working, a large handbag for shopping, a newspaper on the floor, a box on the end of the bed, and a large birdcage were all used. Once we gave her a pond she became more independent. She seems to be very happy being the lone goose. She hated being with the chooks and is now in a yard on her own. She is very content and happy. I suppose she doesn't know anything different. She is very tame and gentle. We take her in the car to go to town if we cant leave her (200kms away). She also likes a ride in the golf cart too. She's a bit of a character. A wonderful and unique pet.

Back
Top Bottom