Littleweirdbeautifulfarm

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2019
I went to get my lone gosling a friend from a local breeder and one of the babies had wry neck and she said she was going to cull him. I asked if I can give him a chance instead. I’ve been giving vitamin E, neck massage, daily exercise, tried handmade splints but nothing seems to be working. He’s about a month old now and still falls on his back when he drinks water and cannot get up. If I leave him alone with the other goslings they peck at him so for now he’s in a large tote where he can use the walls to not fall over. I’m having such a hard time finding other people’s experiences with wry neck in geese. Any help is greatly appreciated! This little guy has such a great spirit and I just adore him.

I haven't dealt with wry neck in my geese to date, but if you haven't already found it, this thread may be helpful. While it's focused on chickens, I think the approaches could potentially be applicable geese, too.

The thread is 20 pages long, but an informative read. Posters generally approached the condition as a vitamin deficiency and treated with supplements, with varied success; some also report success in treating with anti-inflammatories, including homeopathic ones.

An experienced avian vet would be the best option to advise regarding treatment options, especially where prescription corticosteroids are involved. If that's not an option, I hope the info in the thread proves helpful.

Wishing you the very best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom