Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

We find ways of keeping our favourites, even if means buying friends for them!!  :lol:   Goslings just love to nibble the others, don´t they?!!  Plenty of grass to nibble on should take his attention away form HER!!!  Let´s go with her, then...:)

Well what's the worst that could happen? They end up swapping names or Lucy gets passed on to one of the others? Moose has plenty of grass but he won't stray too far without me. He prefers to hang around the back door waiting for me! Such a baby! :love

Need to ask a question I believe I know the answer already but need to confirm it. It an egg that is not good explodes on the whole nest of eggs does that contaminate the other eggs and kill the goslings inside of them if there is any??? As I have told you usually do all my hatching in incubaters but the girls went broody on me. So am not sure what is going on? They were due this past week and so far nothing but an exploding egg...

Ruru I've had eggs blow and the hen goose has still hatched others in the nest. She tends to either discard the egg or eat it. This year we have one broody girl who leaves the nest most evenings for a quick walk with her fella. When she does this the wife or I checks the eggs and candle them to remove the ones which clearly have not taken. Hope this helps. Paul T

Thank you Paul I have raised Sebastopol's for 8 years and have mainly hatched in incubators. So was not sure about exploding eggs on the others. I can not candle because there are two sitting on the nest one will leave but the other sits tight and is a terror to try and get to see the eggs. She bites the dickens out of you even if you try to take her off the nest. She will not leave.

I looked up Chinese geese at a few hatcheries and they listed them as poor for egg hatching abilities. Do any of you have Chinese? Are they good brooders and mothers? Or will I need to purchase an incubator for next year?

Need to ask a question I believe I know the answer already but need to confirm it. It an egg that is not good explodes on the whole nest of eggs does that contaminate the other eggs and kill the goslings inside of them if there is any??? As I have told you usually do all my hatching in incubaters but the girls went broody on me. So am not sure what is going on? They were due this past week and so far nothing but an exploding egg...

I haven't had any eggs explode under my girls this year, however, I am having another dilemma.

Both girls are sitting on nests with about a week and a half to their hatch dates. But yesterday out of the blue I found an egg out laying on the ground near their swimming pool. I check their nests every couple of days to make sure everything is ok and there have been no additions there. And both girls are still sitting. Has anyone else had this or something similar happen?

I am in love with this gosling but I wish her 'sibling' would hurry up and hatch because she is lonely and LOUD and thinks she has to be with me every minute. Still, she's adorable so I'm okay with it for now. Plus her sibling was really moving under the air cell today and I saw the egg shaking a little so I'm really hoping he'll decide to hatch on Tuesday when I'm around to see it. How do broody geese do this? Both eggs were set at the same time and this one is so late, I feel like a broody would have abandoned it to take care of the hatched gosling.

Anyone have any name ideas for my little thing? Something sweet, I think. Sweet names already taken around here are Honey, Sundae, and Caramel, but any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you Paul I have raised Sebastopol's for 8 years and have mainly hatched in incubators. So was not sure about exploding eggs on the others. I can not candle because there are two sitting on the nest one will leave but the other sits tight and is a terror to try and get to see the eggs. She bites the dickens out of you even if you try to take her off the nest. She will not leave.
I´m sure my neighbours sell tickdets to folks to watch me rushing down as fast as I can to get to the nests as soon as I see the goose in the pond taking a break!! A while back I had 3 geese incubating eggs on one nest, and all the eggs went off one by one, as the geese let them get cold by their pinching eggs from each other. Some exploded in the nest, others I managed to find and chuck out before they exploded, but the next time 2 of them had their separate nests, and hatched out 11 between them. They had a few bad eggs that the geese dealt with, obviously, as they just disappeared. I knew, though, as it attracts the flies!
sickbyc.gif

I haven't had any eggs explode under my girls this year, however, I am having another dilemma.

Both girls are sitting on nests with about a week and a half to their hatch dates. But yesterday out of the blue I found an egg out laying on the ground near their swimming pool. I check their nests every couple of days to make sure everything is ok and there have been no additions there. And both girls are still sitting. Has anyone else had this or something similar happen?
Do they both have the right number of eggs in the nest? Could it have got knocked out and rolled away? Or is it white and new? i´ve never had a sitting goose lay an egg so far into brooding.

I am in love with this gosling but I wish her 'sibling' would hurry up and hatch because she is lonely and LOUD and thinks she has to be with me every minute. Still, she's adorable so I'm okay with it for now. Plus her sibling was really moving under the air cell today and I saw the egg shaking a little so I'm really hoping he'll decide to hatch on Tuesday when I'm around to see it. How do broody geese do this? Both eggs were set at the same time and this one is so late, I feel like a broody would have abandoned it to take care of the hatched gosling.

Anyone have any name ideas for my little thing? Something sweet, I think. Sweet names already taken around here are Honey, Sundae, and Caramel, but any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Pyxis, you do have a mirror in there with her, don´t you?
My geese will sit for two days on their nest if there are eggs still to hatch, sometimes longer, and the gander looks after the hatchlings. so lovely to see.
Did you put them in at the same time? Are they different breeds to make a difference in hatching time? Or it be that it needs to lose some weight to hatch?
What about "Sorbet"?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom