Got 2 black silkies rooster, How aggressive are they?

buff

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Shippenville, PA
I just added 4 new black silkies to my flock, 2 hens and 2 roosters. They seem to be fine with my hens that I had, but I was wandering how aggressive are black silkies rooster. I have 2 kids (4 year & 2 year old) and the roosters didn't seem to aggressive until today (5/19/2010) . We just received them on Monday, but I went down today to gather the eggs and the rooster came at me. I just want to know will they go after my kids and why would they feel threaten by me now because I go to the coop every morning to give fresh water and make sure they have food and I check on them all day long. I also have 12 baby buff orpingtons that are a little over 4 weeks old. And there will be roosters in this bunch. I was doing research on what roosters would be the best to have around kids, and I found out Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and Brahmas. The reasons I wanted a couple of roosters is to help with the predators. Because we have lost to many chickens, that I did reading up on that and found out that roosters will tell the hens when there is a predator around. So, I am wandering what do about the black silkies and my kids. And how do I teach them not to be aggressive toward me or anyone else, especially my kids. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Some silkie roos can be agressive. I had one that would jump my grandson. Needless to say he went bye bye, I have read on many posts that in order to brake this you have to really "man handle" them, so to speak. Do a search on it and I am sure you will find lots of info.

I have a very aggressive Silkie roo. He is good with his flock but he charges my son and I every chance he gets. I tried to "man handle" him but it didn't work. Thought about getting rid of him but he was my first chicken.

I would think any roo that attacked you isn't going to draw the line at kids. Maybe silkie roos don't seem so threatening because they are small but, so are your kids . They are much more likely to suffer serious injuries from an attack than an adult.

RockinCRanch, you say you thought about getting rid of your aggressive roo but, he is your first chicken. You can get other roos, you can't replace your kids.This roo can't be leaving you with any good memories of being the "first."

Quote:
I consider putting him in the stew pot everyday but the wife talks me out of it. I agree with you in regards to a childs safety but my son is as big as me. I have 4 two month old cockerels in the coop with my silkie and he doesn't bother them. I will always have good memories of him. He is hillarious to watch. He charges like a bull and thinks he is as big as one. He only charges when your back is to him.

I know I might catch a lot of flack for this, but if you can be reasonably sure your children won't be severely injured by the roo, I'd keep him and try a few "behavior modification" tips. Rooster Red has a really good roo behavior page with some excellent tips. Part of a rooster's job is to protect his flock, and IMHO too many of them are killed for doing just that. True, they may need to be taught that their humans are not to be attacked, but many people fail to take other factors into consideration. I love my hens, but I ADORE my roos -- they have such wonderful personalities. The best one I ever had was killed by a coyote while trying to protect his ladies. I would not ever want to have a flock without at least one rooster, and unless he was so aggressive he went for the eyeballs at every opportunity, we WOULD come to some kind of an understanding.

I just went out this morning to feed and water my chickens as usual and my new roos seem to try and protect the chicken coop. They don't like me or any of my other chickens going in there. One of the roos was trying to get one of my leghorns when she went into the coop to lay an egg. So, I went to the coop to see what all the noise was about and the roo came out of the coop and attacked me 3 times. So how do I man handle him, by catching the roos and holding them or what? Thanks for all the info on silkies I would like to find out more info on them if possible. They are new to me. Because I don't allow my kids at the coop anymore without me or my husband with them. And my 4 year old use to gather the eggs for me, but not anymore. If anyone could answer this question for me I would appreciate it: Why are the roos so protective of the coop of not wanting anyone or any chickens going in there?

Back
Top Bottom