got a bee bee gun

picklespickles

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
got a bee bee gun today with some pointy shot. i will try this for a full week in the evenings. then i'll get a gun for the goat predators. also, got some geese who i know can be attacked by dogs but who also from what i udnerstand put up quite a squawk. so it wont hurt anyway. and maybe it will even help.

i've never shot anything in my entire life. so, this is a big step for me, even bbs.

I finally puchased a BB gun a few months ago. I have stray cats that charge at my chicken fence and then consider trying to climb it (hence freaking out my girls). Since I've been shooting at them they haven't been around much. I hope it works for you.

If it's got pointy shot, it's not a BB gun, it's a pellet gun.

Understand what you've got, and what it will do. They can kill. But generally, you just wound the animal, getting the pellet under the skin and into the flesh, where it festers. The animal may eventually die from the disease imparted from the wound.

If you want to just whap an animal, get the flat faced wad-cutter type rounds. Those are much less likely to penetrate the skin.

OK this is going to sound out of character for me but here goes. This wont kill anything but maybe a parakeet. A paintball gun for you inexperienced shooters and weak kneed killers. They hit pretty hard and sting(leave bruises on humans) and you can get one that is full auto if you want to. They are available at most Sportingoods stores powered by co2 so no pumping or cocking to shoot. You can also mark the perpetrator with paint to expose it to world as a PIA.

OH yea the pointy thing(pellet) will kill and mame so will the BB if you can hit anything with it. I still have a scar over my left eye where one hit me about 45 years ago. But, I wish you good hunting, at least you can do something and not feel so helpless in the protection of your flocks.

Randy

the guy at the store told me that the round shot would not do anything to keep goats safe from dogs who've attacked. he said if i was determined to start with bbs then get the pointy ones. he said he had a crying lady in there just a month ago for the same reason who didn't want to hurt the neighbor dogs but couldnt' let them kill her goats. i said, well, you may see me back here for a real gun.

I hope it works for you . To be effective you will have to hit the dog with it. BB guns make little noise so a hit will be the only deterent.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

I am afraid that in the long run unless you have annie oakly shooting skills you will have to resort to a small shotgun to stop your problem, it makes a loud noise and if you use it correctly you can put some lead in the "pants" of your problem so to speak, without killing it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes

BB guns and Pellet guns should be treated like a real gun, If you shoot at something DO NOT be surprised if you kill it. They should not be used to warn away. Shooting with BB is crueler than shooting with TRUE gun because it USUALLY does not have the power(or accuracy) of a TRUE gun, but it does have enough power to puncture the skin so whatever you shoot will suffer for quite some time before it either heals or dies from infection. Dont be lulled into thinking that you will do no harm to whatever you point at. Worst case scenario, you will have a bunch of one eyed crippled animals in the neighborhood when you get done teaching them to stay away. Which will make them even more dependent on the EASY meal because they will not be able to catch anything truely wild.

Last edited:
uh, i'm not lulled into thinking i wont do any harm. starting with bbs is because i've never shot a gun before.

the info that they aren't as loud as a real gun is something i did't know. that's good info. thanks.

I agree with Marlinchaser. I actually returned a new BB gun after I tested it and found it would cause an unacceptable amount of damage to animal that I was trying to scare away. I my mind the key is to teach the potential predators that it's too risky to hunt in my yard.

I current use the follow to protect the flock:

3 dogs. One Pyr, two Labs.
4 foot fencing. To keep the dogs in.
Paintball and airsoft guns. Both are safe to even shoot people with. I bought the paintball gun at a garage sale, but even the cheaper guns (with a large can of CO2) at the store will work fine.

I think we need a survey of everyone's defense systems and note of how effect they are.

Thanks,

Jim

my fencing is much higher with rocks at the bottom, etc. etc. etc. and they still have gotten in. that is why i'm getting to point of killing or maiming them.

i tried to do a survey of what poele did and people started fighting and it got closed down.

Back
Top Bottom