Got a free rooster need help to tell what it is.

That"s a great looking freebie rooster! When you fix the roof on that coop, you might want to cut/drill some ventilation holes in the top walls unless there are some in the sides that aren't showing in the pic. Right now, it has plenty of ventilation from the roof... But it is going to be a really nice set-up when you get it painted and everything, and great that it has wheels! I love that you are fixing this for your Grandpa... It is so kind and thoughtful.

Easter egger for sure, VERY handsome. ALMOST looks like a wheaten Ameraucana, but not quite. That brown in the muff/beard is what's getting to me the most.

Easter eggers are all mixed breeds or land races. Usually a cross between an Ameraucana and another breed, but always a mix of a blue egg layer and something else (maybe even another blue egg layer).

I like to think of easter eggers a bit like the "doodles" of the chicken world. You gotcher goldendoodles, your labradoodles, your aussiedoodles, your cockapoos, your shishapoos etc. An easter egger is just a blue egg layer (your poodle) bred with any other chicken, sometimes out for multiple generations. They're lovely, they all carry similar traits, but they're not really a breed persay. There's no written standard for them, they may or may not lay blue/green eggs, may or may not have muffs, or have any of the other classic traits, etc.

I'd say this is either a well bred easter egger and very likely to have blue egg genes or is a really poorly bred ameraucana. Given that you don't know his history and the rampant fraud of labeling easter eggers as ameraucanas, I would go with the safe bet of calling him an easter egger.

Here's a picture of a wheaten ameraucana. Usually their muffs are some shade of black, grey or white. Yours has a brown muff/beard and very light blondish hackle (neck) feathers with an awkward pattern which is why I think easter egger not ameraucana. The difference is subtle but important. You have no idea what his genetic history is and he doesn't quite meet breed standard so you can't call him ameraucana without a lot of test breeding against purebred hens. But you can call him Very Handsome and probably a very good rooster.
dc49c3_19bde2addf5e43edba932c37b523e985.jpg

Last edited:
Easter egger for sure, VERY handsome. ALMOST looks like a wheaten Ameraucana, but not quite. That brown in the muff/beard is what's getting to me the most.

Easter eggers are all mixed breeds or land races. Usually a cross between an Ameraucana and another breed, but always a mix of a blue egg layer and something else (maybe even another blue egg layer).

I like to think of easter eggers a bit like the "doodles" of the chicken world. You gotcher goldendoodles, your labradoodles, your aussiedoodles, your cockapoos, your shishapoos etc. An easter egger is just a blue egg layer (your poodle) bred with any other chicken, sometimes out for multiple generations. They're lovely, they all carry similar traits, but they're not really a breed persay. There's no written standard for them, they may or may not lay blue/green eggs, may or may not have muffs, or have any of the other classic traits, etc.

I'd say this is either a well bred easter egger and very likely to have blue egg genes or is a really poorly bred ameraucana. Given that you don't know his history and the rampant fraud of labeling easter eggers as ameraucanas, I would go with the safe bet of calling him an easter egger.

Here's a picture of a wheaten ameraucana. Usually their muffs are some shade of black, grey or white. Yours has a brown muff/beard and very light blondish hackle (neck) feathers with an awkward pattern which is why I think easter egger not ameraucana. The difference is subtle but important. You have no idea what his genetic history is and he doesn't quite meet breed standard so you can't call him ameraucana without a lot of test breeding against purebred hens. But you can call him Very Handsome and probably a very good rooster.
dc49c3_19bde2addf5e43edba932c37b523e985.jpg
Wow :bow:love:goodpost:thanks for that very thuro break down of the breeds. He is very handsome and I know my grandpa will love him! :thumbsup

I'm sure your grandpa will love that, unless he has issues with hens laying eggs. my sister swears they taste different if their shell is different color than white lol, probably cause mine free range plus get treated don't affect the egg taste the color of the shell lol. he's definitely an Amerecuana cross also known as EE or easter Egger I have an amerecuana rooster but RIR-Rhode Island hens that are brow egg layers, their offspring are EE's and lay a blueish green to olive colored egg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom