Got a Mixed Bag at the Swap Help.

BigChuck

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Hello All me and my wife are new to chickens I use to help my grandfather keep them as a kid and I have worked in the poultry production Industry. After buying a place near the lake of the Ozarks in Missouri this summer that already had a nice coop and run set-up we had to get some chickens.

I have been lurking on here and researching different breeds all summer. We bought some EE, Ameraucana, and Barred rock chicks from the feed store a few weeks back and have loved watching them grow. After reading many posts and looking through pictures I kinda fell for Cochins and wanted to get some already grown. We went to the big animal swap in the area and scoured the miles looking for some Standard Cochins, only ones we found were a bit to pricey. My wife spotted some Gold lace Bantam Cochins and had to have them. I wanted some grown good layers, late in the day I came across a family packing up and just had a few chickens left. I was interested in what he called 4 big Cinnamon Queens which I read are just a label for some RSLs.

While coming to a price on them he offered me everything he had left for $20 I looked around in addition to the RSLs there was another red bird, three beautiful white and black pullets with a red rooster he claimed were 4 month old Icelandic's. Partially due to the good deal and partially in worry for the fate of the birds left he didn't want to take home I took them. We got everyone home and set up in the big coop and run and they all seem so happy and are getting along surprisingly well, with the biggest of the RSL hens putting everyone in there place.

I have been wondering the actual breed of the birds and set to combing through BYC. I think the young red hen with the RSLs might be a New Hampshire? But was wanting a second opinion. Also looks like the Icelandic's come in a variety of colors and I really got no idea whether this gorgeous birds are Icelandic's.

I would be thrilled to see what some chicken pros say, I tried to get pics while they were still in the run but they had all come inside by the time I got up there this evening. Thanks in advance.

And the supposed Icelandic.

The red bird looks like some sort of Old English Game or other gamebird mix, since the body type and coloring aren't quite right for a New Hampshire Red. I don't know much about Icelandics, so I can't tell you for sure whether yours are really Icelandics. However, I will say that the bird in the last photo looks a lot like a Sicilian Buttercup.

Last edited:
The red bird looks like some sort of Old English Game or other gamebird mix, since the body type and coloring aren't quite right for a New Hampshire Red. I don't know much about Icelandics, so I can't tell you for sure whether yours are really Icelandics. However, I will say that the bird in the last photo looks a lot like a Sicilian Buttercup.
X2 on these guesses.

X3 on that. You would probably have to get a DNA test done to determine if you really have an Icelandic. Unless you have a pedigree showing the history of the bird's breeding, that's the only way you can know for sure.

There are only 3 breeders of icelandics in the states, and yes you can DNA test to confirm. They are not really a "breed," as there is no standard, but more of an isolated gene pool. They do however have larger bodies with very dense feathering and lots of color. I have seen quite a few icelandics in person and I'm sorry to say yours look nothing like them. I would guess barnyard mixes and agree with some of the previous posters on some sicilian buttercup in that last one. They do all look like nice healthy birds and it was kind of you to take them regardless of breed.

The first looks like a bantam nankin hen, (if the feet are blue) as for the others, I think DNA testing would be needed to prove. Are you sure there is a rooster? Or is he not pictured? They all look like hens, the last one looks like an adult laying hen.

Last edited:
The first could be a black tailed buff Japanese, but the legs look pink, so I'm not really sure. Old English could probably fit for that one as well. The others look like mixes to me, but they are lovely!

For what its worth, pictures of your birds standing naturally can really go a LONG way in helping to identify them. For example, with my Japanese guess, they have short legs and a very distinctive stance. That would've been pretty easy to pick out if we could see them standing on their own ;)

Best of luck with your new feathered friends!

Thanks for all the guesses, I doesn't really matter what exact breed they are I was just curious, especially if there was some special care that the breed needed. They seem happy and healthy but no one is laying yet. I can imagine the strain of being packed up and hauled around then given a new place would shut them down for a while. I got to the coop to late to get pics of them outside yesterday I will try to get some better ones this weekend. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for all the guesses, I doesn't really matter what exact breed they are I was just curious, especially if there was some special care that the breed needed. They seem happy and healthy but no one is laying yet. I can imagine the strain of being packed up and hauled around then given a new place would shut them down for a while. I got to the coop to late to get pics of them outside yesterday I will try to get some better ones this weekend. Thanks again everyone.

You're welcome.

Yeah.. after I posted, I aaw the legs were noy blue looking. I think this is possible depending pn the birds height.

The first could be a black tailed buff Japanese, but the legs look pink, so I'm not really sure. Old English could probably fit for that one as well. The others look like mixes to me, but they are lovely!

For what its worth, pictures of your birds standing naturally can really go a LONG way in helping to identify them. For example, with my Japanese guess, they have short legs and a very distinctive stance. That would've been pretty easy to pick out if we could see them standing on their own ;)

Best of luck with your new feathered friends!

Back
Top Bottom