Got a start on your garden?

I have started my basement greenhouse garden. I have one of those one of those $40 greenhouse on wheels that walmart had last year and have some cheapy $7 flourecent lights hooked up and Wah Lah a garden.

Right now I only have peppers in there but they are about 2-3" tall and they aren't even a month old. Getting a little worried because I am not going to be able to put them in the garden until the middle of May. Last year I planted them on March 4 and They were still a little small when I planted them in June. I got my seeds from gurney this year instead of walmart and they must have better plant stock because WOW.

Right now I have:

14 Sweet Bell Pepper mix (Green, Yellow& Red)
20 Sweet Hungarian yellow peppers
9 HOT Hungarian yellow peppers

My daughter (3yr old) started her garden
wink.png
on Sunday and she had 6 of 12 gourds growing in an egg carton planter. I'll have to move them soon. It's very exciting for her too.

Starting Tomatoes, Watermelon and cucumbers on Mar 9.

Hope to be able to till the garden by the end of Mar.

Started my indoor seeds a few weeks ago, and now have sprouts that need thinning. As I was spreading chicken litter compost on the garden today, I noticed a few shoots of garlic and onions that overwintered poking through, and a few strawberries thinking about popping up already.

We're supposed to get sleet tomorrow night though.
roll.png

I'm itching to get my starts of lettuce going. We have friends coming from Germany for Memorial Day and I really REALLY want my yard - especially my veggies - to be well-started and look nice by then.

Last chance of frost here in the Seattle area is closer to Mother's Day, however, so I've gotta get stuff started inside and then harden it off.

Well, I've ordered plants and bought seeds, but we still have two feet of snow on the ground and it was 20-below this morning, so it will be awhile before anything gets planted. Not much to do way up here in Zone 3.

This is our first year for a garden. Hubby picked up a truck load of aged manure today. Im tossing on my compost pile tomorrow then we'll till it in and let it marinate til planting time.

I have collards, broccoli, mustard and kale greens, peas, radishes, beans, and herbs all in my winter sowing garden. www.wintersown.org I haven't seen any sprouts yet but it should be soon. I have my heirlooms inside under lights ...only on day 3... sprouts should come around day 8.

We are warming up here already in WV and I suspect we'll be able to plant the second week of April... maybe another couple weeks til the peppers and mators.

Greg's out tilling today with our brandy new tiller that we got with income tax money! And I'm SUPPOSED to be planting more tomato babies but I'm starting to get burned out from all this seed planting especially since I have a six year old who's "helping" me and slowing the whole process down significantly.

Back
Top Bottom