Got all my flocks tested by the state

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
So, last week I got all my birds tested by the state. 19 Chickens, 20 quail, and 9 guineas. Wrangling all for individual blood tests during a down pour was likely comical to watch for the state official sitting comfortably under a pop up lol. The birds were tested for Salmonella Pallorum & avian influenza. Today I got the results, and they all came back negative!! I am happy that I can now legally sell hatching eggs and chicks, and have taken the first step towards NPIP certification. I am going to be offering quail hatching eggs to start, and heritage Delaware and New Hampshire eggs once my chicks mature. Also will sell their sex linked baby girls. This was a big step for Cuckoo Mountain Farm!

So, last week I got all my birds tested by the state. 19 Chickens, 20 quail, and 9 guineas. Wrangling all for individual blood tests during a down pour was likely comical to watch for the state official sitting comfortably under a pop up lol. The birds were tested for Salmonella Pallorum & avian influenza. Today I got the results, and they all came back negative!! I am happy that I can now legally sell hatching eggs and chicks, and have taken the first step towards NPIP certification. I am going to be offering quail hatching eggs to start, and heritage Delaware and New Hampshire eggs once my chicks mature. Also will sell their sex linked baby girls. This was a big step for Cuckoo Mountain Farm!
Congratulations! That's exciting.

I didn't know they testedquail or guineas for that.

Was it a blood draw test? Or something else?
They may or may not test quail or guinea in your state. I think they are all different.

It was an individual blood test for every bird, taken under the wing. The blood was put into a vile with a specific number, corresponding to the number on the new leg band they put on the bird.

What breeds will you be selling, do you export outside of US?
I will be offering hatching eggs for quail and guinea seasonally, and chicks of the NHs, Delawares and sex links they produce from my other thread. It would be illegal for me to export live animals unfortunately. Most of my birds I plan on selling at swaps, auctions, and through my website and local advertising.

Back
Top Bottom