Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

Rosemarie1, it worked...as it always does! I fed them barely a handful last night and this morning? No birds on the stoop, no birds anywhere even close to the house....everyone is out ranging their fool heads off!
gig.gif
When I fed the dog and cat this morning they came running....and I ignored them, per usual. I brought out some garbage to the woods and they came running...and it wasn't anything they would consider food, so they drifted off.

Now they are ranging, ranging and ranging. Bliss!

You see, I had told myself that I was going to stop feeding the birds this spring and summer and let them exist on forage, then I got the chicks and I just kept feeding..and feeding...and feeding...like a bad habit. Guess I didn't want to lose my good scoby by not refreshing the feed but I think I'm going to feed out this bucket and then only mix very, very small batches so that I feed maybe one single cupful for the whole bunch each evening just so they get a little of the good stuff but there will be no more big meals until the forage isn't so great. I'll just watch their bodies and see how it all goes.

Rosemarie1, it worked...as it always does! I fed them barely a handful last night and this morning? No birds on the stoop, no birds anywhere even close to the house....everyone is out ranging their fool heads off!
gig.gif
When I fed the dog and cat this morning they came running....and I ignored them, per usual. I brought out some garbage to the woods and they came running...and it wasn't anything they would consider food, so they drifted off.

Now they are ranging, ranging and ranging. Bliss!

You see, I had told myself that I was going to stop feeding the birds this spring and summer and let them exist on forage, then I got the chicks and I just kept feeding..and feeding...and feeding...like a bad habit. Guess I didn't want to lose my good scoby by not refreshing the feed but I think I'm going to feed out this bucket and then only mix very, very small batches so that I feed maybe one single cupful for the whole bunch each evening just so they get a little of the good stuff but there will be no more big meals until the forage isn't so great. I'll just watch their bodies and see how it all goes.
That's great Bee! Mine are a little better today to but still come running when we walk out there but not all of them like they were doing. With this heat I was wondering if the bugs wasn't around for them to eat or something.
So happy they are back at it!

Last edited:
No, the bugs are out more in the heat...I walked past the row of wild flowers this morning and saw a bug on nearly every flower!

I haven't had a chicken on my doorstep all day! About time...they are not getting fed at all today and I may feed them a cupful tomorrow evening just so my FF won't go to waste.

No, the bugs are out more in the heat...I walked past the row of wild flowers this morning and saw a bug on nearly every flower!

I haven't had a chicken on my doorstep all day! About time...they are not getting fed at all today and I may feed them a cupful tomorrow evening just so my FF won't go to waste.
yeah you don't want those oldies kicking the bucket on you from no food.
wink.png
Well mine were doing great and even going pretty far until later this evening and they started inching toward the house and got a few piles of poop on the patio this evening. I think IF they knew where I was in the house and they could get up to the window they'd be pecking at it for me to come feed em in the evenings. lol They didn't seem AS hungry this evening though since they did free range more than yesterday. BUT gotta get them to stay off the patio. Don't know what they're after on it. Wondering if they're smelling the cats food? There wasn't any food left over tonight in their trough.

Rose, that is happening right now with my flock too, so it's just a stage, time of year, etc...you know how to fix that?  Feed even less.  Tonight my older flock got next to nothing to eat and the younger birds were full from free ranging...but not the older flock.  They camped out by the back door all day long waiting to be fed.  They've been doing that for the past two weeks and only a few are actually going out on free range...so rations are getting cut drastically until all are out hunting for their provender again. 

They actually don't need any food at all if they have excellent free range...and mine do.  So, time to get those fat girls back to hunting again.  The only ones that foraged today were Little Red, The Wild Bunch and the Foster Mom and Barbara Ann, one of my BRs.  The rest sat around waiting for supper...ALL DAY LONG.  I have chicken poop on both porches and that DID it!  :mad:

Time to play rough...no more than one cup total~for all 14 birds~of FF each evening until I see some foraging by all birds.  If that doesn't do it, NO FOOD. 

I find this interesting. We're having the same problem and egg production dropped big time. 6-8 eggs a day down to 0-3, if we're lucky. Hard to keep people in eggs w those numbers.

It's like their version of a food strike. 4 acres offers plenty of good eats for them but they're pretty lazy and expect fud lady to provide it. Our cockeral is nice now because of it.

I find this interesting. We're having the same problem and egg production dropped big time. 6-8 eggs a day down to 0-3, if we're lucky. Hard to keep people in eggs w those numbers.

It's like their version of a food strike. 4 acres offers plenty of good eats for them but they're pretty lazy and expect fud lady to provide it. Our cockeral is nice now because of it.

It worked for me! I haven't seen a chicken on the porches all day and all day yesterday. I no longer get mobbed when I go outside, though they still drift towards me hopefully...but fade away again when they see I am not talking to them or walking to the coop. They were out bright and early foraging like mad, cleaning up fallen peaches and apples from the orchard and digging through the woods for bugs and grubs.

And you know what? Their crops are full! The only feed they have had in the past two days from me has been 2 cupfuls...and that's for 14 birds. One cup a day for the whole flock...that's down from 4 c. previously. The only reason I'm feeding it at all is because I don't want to let my FF sit and sit without refreshing it eventually, so I'm using up this batch and will mix a much, much smaller batch the next time...just barely enough to keep my scoby fresh and working great..and just barely enough to keep their guts on good probiotics.

It worked for me!  I haven't seen a chicken on the porches all day and all day yesterday.  I no longer get mobbed when I go outside, though they still drift towards me hopefully...but fade away again when they see I am not talking to them or walking to the coop.  They were out bright and early foraging like mad, cleaning up fallen peaches and apples from the orchard and digging through the woods for bugs and grubs. 

And you know what?  Their crops are full!  The only feed they have had in the past two days from me has been 2 cupfuls...and that's for 14 birds.  One cup a day for the whole flock...that's down from 4 c. previously.  The only reason I'm feeding it at all is because I don't want to let my FF sit and sit without refreshing it eventually, so I'm using up this batch and will mix a much, much smaller batch the next time...just barely enough to keep my scoby fresh and working great..and just barely enough to keep their guts on good probiotics. 

We have 26 birds. 9 are a year old next month and the new one are 4 months and just started laying yesterday.
How's ur egg production?

We have 26 birds. 9 are a year old next month and the new one are 4 months and just started laying yesterday.
How's ur egg production?

I have 4~ 6 yr old hens, 4~4 yr old hens and 4~4 mo. old hens....all of which are in molt. I'm getting 2-3 eggs per day right now, which is not a surprise considering the age of the birds I have at laying age who are in molt and the youngsters are not laying as of yet. I have a rooster...he's 6 yr old too and he's never laid an egg. Time to cull that one...I've been waiting far too long for that one to lay!
big_smile.png

Sounds like you got a keeper. Keep in mind his job is to protect those girls.
IN honesty though I had one sob that spurred my 8 yr old son from time to
time ,I let him choose kill him or keep him. My son let this go on for 6 months
finally when my kid was cowering against my truck with blood running down
his leg as he had short pants on. Acting on regret and anger for allowing this
to continue I drew my sidearm and dispatched him with extreme prejudice.
As the feathers settled , I kicked myself as it was auction night and mean
Roosters fetch big bucks in FL ! $25 or more for a red rooster, that's what
felt right at the time. My boy learned that he not the bird rules. We had the
same issue with a BIG NUBIAN goat, by that time we had strategically put
"stupid sticks" around the yard that worked out as the goat got clocked at
least 6-9 times finally getting the message. Ironically a 10' Alligator ate him
a few weeks later. As far as flogging goes pick up a goose sometime, they
will beat you silly then grab an ear or nose until you can get him pinned in
your armpit . Expect to be covered in Goose crap to boot ! RR

I have 4~ 6 yr old hens, 4~4 yr old hens and 4~4 mo. old hens....all of which are in molt. I'm getting 2-3 eggs per day right now, which is not a surprise considering the age of the birds I have at laying age who are in molt and the youngsters are not laying as of yet.  I have a rooster...he's 6 yr old too and he's never laid an egg.  Time to cull that one...I've been waiting far too long for that one to lay!  :D

LOL.... our rooster hasn't laid yet either. With urs molting that makes sense. Ours r too young yet.
They're not pestering me as much today but we're in a heat advisory also. They're staying in the shade foraging or under the trees chillin.

Back
Top Bottom