Got meat?

Pics
Low style hut.. my old back can’t take walkin bent over anymore.. I replaced this style with the taller dome type.. the grandkids are much more limber and can get in and out much better than me.. so I kept them, still have 2 of these..
How many do you have in here and are they in here the whole time?

How many do you have in here and are they in here the whole time?
Theres 50 in each.. yes they stay in the huts 8-10 weeks up until processing, but I do move them every 2-3 days, just to keep them off the poop not so much for grazing, I pick up one side and walk with it 2-3 foot and then go to other side and walk 2-3 foot, or sometimes I will spin it around, just to get to fresh grass and they will be fine for a couple days..

Theres 50 in each.. yes they stay in the huts 8-10 weeks up until processing, but I do move them every 2-3 days, just to keep them off the poop not so much for grazing, I pick up one side and walk with it 2-3 foot and then go to other side and walk 2-3 foot, or sometimes I will spin it around, just to get to fresh grass and they will be fine for a couple days..
The low hut appears to use metal conduit or fence post for the verticals, but I can't tell what you used for verticals on the dome. Is it rebar? Looks like a good design. I've been considering chicken tractors for when I finally get some chicken and yours are some of the lightest looking I've seen.

The low hut appears to use metal conduit or fence post for the verticals, but I can't tell what you used for verticals on the dome. Is it rebar? Looks like a good design. I've been considering chicken tractors for when I finally get some chicken and yours are some of the lightest looking I've seen.
Yes I used different diameter galvanized chain link fence posts and then conduit and rebar..I like being able to slide smaller pipe into larger pipe and securing with a couple self tapping screws, much like a trampoline frame is constructed.. my first meat bird pen 25 years ago was an old trampoline, it worked great just a pain to take down and store.. so I came up with a simpler lighter weight design. They are stored in the barn now but when I get them out and put back together I will take some better pictures

PXL_20230803_182818630.jpg

Hit the truckload meat sale at our local IGA today and stocked up......at least 100# of meat for $400 and we have the dozen meatbirds to process too with the other 18 not far behind. Hopefully that will get us closer to having our own pork.

View attachment 3598246
Hit the truckload meat sale at our local IGA today and stocked up......at least 100# of meat for $400 and we have the dozen meatbirds to process too with the other 18 not far behind. Hopefully that will get us closer to having our own pork.
Wow haha I wish my freezer looked like that. One day it will lol

Setup, cleanup, catching, processing and packaging (after resting, of course) averages about 15 minutes per chicken for 2 people with a plucker and a 6-pack. 😂
@Charlie Wooster do you agree?
That's not bad at all. It takes me about 10 minutes per quail including cleaning the plucker and scaldnig pot etc. That's by myself, though.

Back
Top Bottom