Got My First Marans Egg Today

Quote:
Yes, yours definitely look older than mine. I didn't think the Marans had much of a comb or waddle, because mine don't at all. I wonder. I got mine from a hatchery...is it possible they aren't true Marans?

Quote:
Yes, yours definitely look older than mine. I didn't think the Marans had much of a comb or waddle, because mine don't at all. I wonder. I got mine from a hatchery...is it possible they aren't true Marans?

I think your Agnes looks just like mine used to. Did you receive them as day olds? What was their hatch date? I really think mine are just older than what the breeder stated. Which is fine of course!! Lol, less waiting.

Here is a link that shows lots of good photos of them. I do remember though, when I was waiting and watching them to see when they were going to begin laying that it seemed like their combs and wattles exploded in size and color overnight. It was one of those double-take moments for sure
smile.png
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

Quote:

I think your Agnes looks just like mine used to. Did you receive them as day olds? What was their hatch date? I really think mine are just older than what the breeder stated. Which is fine of course!! Lol, less waiting.

Here is a link that shows lots of good photos of them. I do remember though, when I was waiting and watching them to see when they were going to begin laying that it seemed like their combs and wattles exploded in size and color overnight. It was one of those double-take moments for sure
smile.png
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

Their hatch date was April 6 and we got them on April 13, so I am fairly certain of their age. The wait is maddening really, especially since our Golden Comet, Annabelle, has been the only one laying for almost a month now.

Well, then mine have to be older. When I asked the breeder how old they were, she kind of shrugged and said 6-7 weeks and she has a LOT of birds of all different breeds over there so she must have been off by a few weeks. That's okay with me though
smile.png
. Keep your chin up, one day you'll be looking at them and you'll wonder where the heck those bright red combs, wattles and faces came from! Thank God I got these Marans at whatever age they were, because I also got Brown Leghorns, Golden Laced Wyandottes and Silver Laced Wyandottes as chicks from a hatchery whose hatch date was 5/31/11.....I have a while to wait on eggs from them
smile.png
. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely have gone with all older chicks.

The chicks are cute, but much more work and WORRY as well
smile.png
. The only way I would order chicks again is if I HAD to have something and just couldn't find it locally at a breeder. Here are some of the Marans after I'd had them about a week.
198.jpg

Their faces are very red, but the combs and waddles just aren't that pronounced yet. Agnes did the egg dance again this morning, so I am still hopeful, but I guess at the same time I am trying not to get my hopes up. We are going out of town in about two weeks, and my bet is that they all start laying while we are gone!

I've just been noticing since we've been having this conversation that the BCM pullets are really developing the combs and wattles and getting a lot more color as well. LOL, they are probably thinking "WHY IS SHE STARING AT ME?" To which the cuckoo marans reply "DON'T WORRY, SHE'S JUST TRYING TO STARE AN EGG OUT OF YOU. IT WON'T LAST". It occurs to me that they have us trained pretty well
wink.png
. I'll post a pic of the BCMs later this morning. I hope you all have a great day
smile.png

Quote:
The combs on yours are definitely bigger than on my girls who are 22 weeks. One of mine squatted for me twice this week, and we have seen both of them checking out and scratching in the nest boxes, so my fingers are crossed.

Back
Top Bottom