got my first quail

bantamboy93

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I got my quail today from a man nearby.. Sadly, I think he had been hitting the bottle a bit... ..... And couldn't tell a male from a female and i think that i've ended up with all females. I know for sure that one of the tuxedo quail is a male. but the regular coturnix, i've vent checked them all and i think they're all females. But he said they haven't started laying yet. So is it too early to vent check?

qual1.jpg
qual2.jpg
qual3.jpg

can you sex the first 2 for me from those pics? does anyone know? i don't even know what the dark brown one is.

The dark brown one is a Tibetian, you can't feather sex them. Number 2 is a male. Watch them for a while and if it lays an egg its a hen, if it crows its a rooster.

ok well then that means that probably i have all roosters... because i think all the brown ones look like the second one. the man i got them from didn't know what he was doing.

the 2nd picture is a "wild" phase young male. u can vissually sex that bird only. we need to see his chest a bit better but as long as he has no chest spots and a rusty brown chest hes a male. if they arent laying they MIGHT not be vent sexable. they will be though b4 they start laying as well. but the 2nd pic. is a "wild phase" jap.

I just had someone tell me that if it has stripes/spots, it's a hen. Which would mean that i have 2 hens and a rooster. not including the tibetan one.

Quote:
The spots on the chest thing is only accurate with the pharoah and italian colours. It can't be done on the ranges, english whites etc. Trust JJ, he is one of the gurus here.

Back
Top Bottom