Got our first 2 eggs today!

Wimomof2

Chirping
Jun 16, 2017
Northwest Wisconson
So, I knew there was a chance they might begin laying soon, they are 4 months old. I have 21, no idea how many males or females. I have tried to listen but i cant keep them all straight! I put 2 milk crates on their sides in the coop. Today I found an egg on the floor and then tonight my son found one on the floor. Any way I can get them to lay in a certain spot? Also I am in Northern WI, can I continue to free range all winter or should I just keep them in the pen? Thanks!

:welcome:celebrate Yes you can free range all winter . They will let you know when its to cold to go out . Are they roosting on roosts ? If they are used to a roost then they should lay in in the nesting boxes . I put wooden eggs or golf balls in the nest to encourage them to lay in the box . You should have bedding in the milk crates. I save my grass clippings and mix them with wood shavings in mine. Straw or hay will work too .

i agree with them, thats a good idea of the crate with straw. guineas do good in quite hidden spots, an open ground will lead them to careless-ness. guineas when cooped, especially during their breeding season become quite aparthetically and careless they lay eggs on the floor other than in then nest boxes. and too with the fertility rate is quite low than freeranging birds, dont get suprised when you get less keets to hatching.

creating a well-hidden corner for nesting can be best. you just have to compare them to their wildness nesting range. in the woods they make their nest in deep rashes,grasses or beneath bushes. you can fake that too, to your coop by attaching a board against the wall and lay logs to blend it from your sight. i also use mowed grass as a cover. to live with guineas mean you need to explore their world a bit. when we cooped them for laying we dont place nest boxes or crates for them to lay. we creat shallow holes and line them with few straw, then cover it with dead or fresh branches with leaves. what i fear from them when cooped is - fertility rate. once hens are introduced to their new laying spots in the coop, at least she might have to bond with the nest for few days, then let her out when she laid 3 to 4 eggs. no more coop. A guinea has been tricked. thell come back every afternoon to lay in the coop for a day. thats how we do, to get the best healthy keets from trickey guineafowls.

best wishes...

My guineas are fair weather birds. If it's snowing, raining or windy they are more likely to stay inside even with the doors open. It is 17 degrees here this morning. The sun is shining with no wind so the guineas are all out free ranging. Give them the choice and let them decide when to go out. ;)

Congrats on the eggs! I'm not sure how long they will continue to lay as guineas are seasonal layers. Mine in Central NY usually start laying in April and end in October.

At first, they will just drop them wherever. When they get serious, they'll start to lay in a nest and quite often will lay in a community nest. I've had good luck getting them to lay in a straw nest directly on the floor of the barn, in a big feed tray with straw in it sitting on the ground and in straw bale caves. Mine seem to like a bit of privacy and if they don't get it, they'll seek it out - I had one this summer laying outdoors at the base of a big tomato plant. I do try to keep track of where they are laying. If they go broody outside, they'll be vulnerable to predators so anything you can do to encourage them to lay inside will be a good thing.

Mine free range all year long, but don't like going out in deep snow. Sometimes they get stuck in trees and then won't come down or head up the road and then get stuck and can't get back. I do keep them in once in a while if there's a wind chill advisory of if the snow is too deep. I find if they go out in those conditions, they'll have problems with their feet.

Here are some pics of the nesting options, but yours may do fine with a traditional nesting box. It's trial and error with a lot of things when it comes to guineas. Good luck!

Straw bales 2.jpg
9.16.16 coop nest.jpg

Back
Top Bottom