Got sand? You should!

Pics
Our birds had already scratched the majority of foliage, we did go in and pull out most of what was left. We too put 3-4" of sand, and they love it. Much easier to cull out the "fertilizer!"

Hi,
I was at Gander Mountain last week. Was walking thru the turkey frying equipment aisle. (yeah, they really do have one!). Anyway, they had a long handled metal scoop for skimming in a deep fat fryer. It looked perfect for scooping poop in a coop with a sand floor.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...Mesh-Skimmer&i=412211&aID=505O4C&merchID=4006
It was the one with the 36 inch handle. Nice thing I like about it was it looked like it could stand repeated disinfecting.
Just saying.
Karen

This looks like it would make a great scoop for my sand run. I really like the long handle...less bending.

Hey all. I'm working on my new coop and run and I've been checking in to the different types of sand available here. The choices are white beach sand, masonry sand, and concrete sand. Will any of these work?? Thanks so much.

I'm in the process of building a run (24x40) for 23 chickens, I never thought of putting anything on the ground. What's the benefit of sand over just the dirt that's already there?

Why is it better than play sand?
hu.gif

I don't know that it's "better." Construction sand is what what the place had that we bought our sand from.

I am kinda new to this, but after reading all the great stuff on BYC I fancy myself an expert. After much research (pro's & con's) I went with sand. I am so thankful I did. It's dry, easy to clean & cheap. My chickens love it. They dust bathe in it constantly and it helps to keep them very clean. All I can say on the subject is Try sand... You'll be glad you did.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom