Got sand? You should!

Pics
Do you guys with sand find that 4-6" of sand would also work to deter predators from digging under? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Nope, that's wishful thinking. I don't think sand will deter a predator. Even 6" of it, which after shoveling 2 cubic yards, I can tell you is very heavy!! You could put down your welded wire underneath the sand maybe, all across the inside of the run? I did an apron and buried it only a few inches and it sticks out 18" or so all the way around my 10x20' run. Doing it inside the run seems like it might be simpler, can't think of any drawbacks off hand and it would save you from having to dig a trench around it.

I am new to backyard chickens (the chicks are still in my house in a brooder while I attempt to build a coop). I really like the idea of sand, but have one question.......if in the winter you move the food and water inside the hen house, will the girls use it for dust baths and get it in their food and water? I live in western TN, not terribly cold, but we do have some snow and freezing. Is it okay to leave their food and water in the run in the winter? My coop sits on top of the run so it does provide a roof for half the run. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you, Pam

Please make sure you purchase FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH...the kind that is used in swimming pools, etc. is toxic. The food grade is what is added in feed and even in our cereal, harmless. Use gloves when handling as it dries out your skin real quick and ALWAYS wear a mask as it will aggravates your lungs.

I use it in gardening and works great to dust on the plants to prevent and kill bugs. However, do not apply when your plants are flowering as it will kill the bees and other beneficial pollinating insects.

I have not read throught all the replies, but can anyone tell me is a certain type of sand needed (say, playground sand?) How deep should you put the sand in the coop, as well? I am building my coop and like the idea of this! Thank you!!!

Also, can you use this for making fertilizer, as well, when you use the sand?

Last edited:
I have not read throught all the replies, but can anyone tell me is a certain type of sand needed (say, playground sand?) How deep should you put the sand in the coop, as well? I am building my coop and like the idea of this! Thank you!!!

Also, can you use this for making fertilizer, as well, when you use the sand?

I've read that "river" sand is the best and that's what I'm getting. It's cheaper to purchase by the yard. Just priced some here in Mountain View (Hickory, NC) and a mulch place has some for $25/yard. Think it's recommended to have the sand 6" deep.

Ok, thank you, will look around for that here. They won't be out in the coop for quite a while (not even a week old yet! lol)

Ok, thank you, will look around for that here. They won't be out in the coop for quite a while (not even a week old yet! lol)

When I called the mulch place they said a yard of River sand would cover 3" deep X 10' X 10'
My run is 8' x 6' so will probably just get 1 yard and not make it as deep as 6"
Enjoy the little ones - they grow fast
welcome-byc.gif

I am new to backyard chickens (the chicks are still in my house in a brooder while I attempt to build a coop). I really like the idea of sand, but have one question.......if in the winter you move the food and water inside the hen house, will the girls use it for dust baths and get it in their food and water? I live in western TN, not terribly cold, but we do have some snow and freezing. Is it okay to leave their food and water in the run in the winter? My coop sits on top of the run so it does provide a roof for half the run. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you, Pam

I leave food and water in the run all winter. I do have to heat the water (for 6 full months), but if your temps don't get too far below freezing you'll probably be okay. My girls do get sand in their water, even when it's in the run and elevated on a tree stump. In the summer I like the nipple waterers for this reason, it's cleaner and not much mess. If your temps don't get too cold they may work for you all winter, but even with a bucket heater I couldn't use the nipple waterers in my climate. But come spring (it's sure to be just around the corner, though the 10" of snow we've had in the past few days makes it seem very far away) I'm switching back to nipple waterers for sure!

It really will depend on how much space you have in the coop. I have an 8x8 coop for 12 chickens, and a 10x20 run. The coop is roomy enough but I think it would get crowded with food and water, and didn't want added humidity and food spill in there.

Hi we got some sand today from a local landscaping place I believe it is fine mason sand. I'm a little worried because DH said it is the wrong sand due to it's dust and can hurt the chickens lungs. Help did we get the wrong sand?

Back
Top Bottom