Got sand? You should!

Pics
Newbie here. I greatly appreciate the information provided on these forums and this particular topic was of great interest to me. I've had my chickens for nearly two weeks now. The first night, I did not have anything in their coup but the bare floor. They immediately roosted on the wooden closet rod dowel that I had provided for them and I thought they were happy. The next evening, I had installed the sand on the floor of their coup and they have since not used the roost. They simply sit in the sand.

Is this common?

Otherwise, I like the sand as it is easy to use a kitty litter scoop to clean it out and promptly put in the compost.

I started with two Buff Orpingtons (one layer and one pullet) and one sexlink (laying). I acquired another sexlink (layer) today and she also sits in the sand. I had put a "poop board" under the roost and after the first night, it stays clean.

Seems unusual to me for them to lay in the sand, but if they're happy, life is good!

I was going to try both just to see their preference as I have seen both in various coops pictured online, but my coop is not large. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I happened to have the closet rod and not the 2x4 so that is why I went that route. I really wanted a branch instead of the other options, but have not yet acquired one.

They had no problem the first night, however.

Thanks for your comment!

Really liking this sand idea. I've had pigs and the wood shavings were such a mess! I am new to raising my own chickens, so I might have to start them out with sand when I am able to move them to their coop! Thanks for the awesome idea!
thumbsup.gif

I've been using sand in the brooder and I like it so much that I wanted to use it in the coop as well. I just picked up a ton of gorgeous river sand right from the Little Tennessee here in town and we got it all shoveled into the coop on Wednesday morning. It was mildly damp at the time, so I've put a fan on it and am turning it over a few times a day to help it thoroughly dry out before I move in the peeps. Does anyone have experience with how long it should take to dry? As of this evening (Friday) it still seems a bit damp on the bottom every time I go in to turn it over.

my hubby and i are wondering, what do you do with the sand bi-annually when it's time to change it out? it doesn't exactly break down.

THANK YOU!

I have a small coop. Might be a really dumb question but, can kitty litter (scoopable) be used. I have some not being used.

I have a small coop. Might be a really dumb question but, can kitty litter (scoopable) be used. I have some not being used.
I remember reading on this thread someone saying no. The chickens will eat it and it would be very bad.
The sand is scoopable. I use a kitty litter scoop and it works great.

I've been using sand in the brooder and I like it so much that I wanted to use it in the coop as well.  I just picked up a ton of gorgeous river sand right from the Little Tennessee here in town and we got it all shoveled into the coop on Wednesday morning.  It was mildly damp at the time, so I've put a fan on it and am turning it over a few times a day to help it thoroughly dry out before I move in the peeps.  Does anyone have experience with how long it should take to dry?  As of this evening (Friday) it still seems a bit damp on the bottom every time I go in to turn it over.

It's 100% fine damp. The bottom may never dry depending on your climate. The top will stay plenty dry enough.

Back
Top Bottom