Got silkies hatching

Bisqit&Gravy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Why I let this happen now while it's cold, I'm not sure!!?? My silkies have been sitting and one baby has hatched so far. They are outside and do have a heat source in their house so I'm hoping babies will be ok. I came home yesterday to hear chirping as soon as I came out of the garage. The little one was out in the yard and couldn't get back in the house. It was warmer and sunny yesterday so that was a good thing. We made a ramp so that won't happen again.

I've read on here about chicks staying with the moms outside but wondering how ya'll do that? Do you feed everyone chick starter?? Do ya'll think I should bring these babies in or leave them outside?

I'll get a pic tomorrow of the baby or more if any have hatched. The tiny fuzzy one was sooo cute:)

How cold is cold ? Where are you ? Is coop insulated?
I know to many questions !
lau.gif

I live in AL. It's crazy temps here! The past few weeks it's gone from 30's to 70's during the day. A few freezing nights to 40's,50's or whatever it feels like doing outside.

I only have 2 silkie hens and 1 roo. They're house is just one of those thick hard plastic dog houses that I fill with hay or here lately all the leaves from my yard. We have a red heat bulb hanging from the roof inside. When everything was frozen outside, I stuck my head in there and it was quite warm.

Mama will take care of them, no need to bring them in !! Put some chick food and water near them and mama will teach them all they need to know !!

OK, I gave them chick started this morning. Only have one chick for now. When I went to let them out this morning the smell coming would knock ya down!!!! One egg was rotten, busted opened and the hens were eating it...UGH!!!! I got it out. Then I moved them with a fight to change the bedding out b/c it smelled horrble.

They quickly sat on the eggs on the ground while I was cleaning the house out. Good momma's:)

Here's a blurry pic of the one babie:)

Silkiechick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom