Got the call chicks are in!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kathy1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

So now that they are finally here, I have to pick them up today afterwork, What else do I need?? I am picking them up 2 or 3 of them (RIR's) and the chick feed. I have a lamp, waterer and feed holder, newspaper and paper towels for the box, using a big fish tank for a few days to hold them then using a bigger box , I have to build my coop asap too lol How did y ou judge the temp? Do I need a thermometer too?? anything else?? I cant even think straight LOL

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    yes thermometer as well. I'm willing to bet you come home with more then 3!!

3. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Don't forget to post pics! Congrats![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kathy1

Thank you!!! lol, I am excited my son will be too, he has been waiting and waiting, patience is not one of his virtues lol I just hope I get there before they closed, I cant leave work early today..... I did tell them I would be there and to hold some aside for me.

What kind of thermometer is best?

5. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    MMMWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHA ANOTHER ONE FALLS VICTUM TO THE DREADED " FUZZY BUTT FEVER " !!!!!! A big congratulations to you and have a blast with those babies. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    pretty much any thermometer will work. You can probably get a cheap one at the same feedstore you are getting the chicks from. Are you sure you can't leave work early?? You are looking pale, are you sure you feel well [​IMG]

7. Kathy1

I have been coughing and sneezing for about 2 hours now, I dont think it will happen. I am the go to girl and I have a meeting later int he day cant resc, he is from out of state and confirmed with me this am before the store called...... sniff sniff achoo.

Maybe if I cough in his direction he will leave early ...hmmmm....[​IMG]

8. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    thats a great idea. The waiting SUCKS!!! I know....... I should have 2 new babies when I get home.

9. Kathy1

I am nervous about them being home by themselves during the day, I have to work so does my dh and ds has school, So they will be alone from 7.45am to 3 pm, do you think they will be okay? I could run home at lunch to check on them. Please say they will be okay. I am nervous about them.[​IMG]

10. Kathy1

New babies?? Chicks? Do you have hens that lay? or are you using a brooder? Either way congrats to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by