Got today new baby chick from TSC

So you have them in a tote if I understand right thats 24 inches long? And then the light is 18 inches above. It's really hard to have a hot and cold side with a tote that small. Pasty butt can be caused by stress and cold but also over heating. If you can get a hold of a temp gage or hygrometer to see what the temperature is in there that would be good.

Sometimes I mix chick starter crumble with raw egg to moisten it. I wouldn't mix in oatmeal into your starter though - that will reduce the nutrition. You can also feed raw egg yolk but discard after 4 hrs so it doesn't go bad.
Thank you for that good information about oatmeal. I'm gonna try the raw egg mixed into the starter.
Thank you Judy Mayes

Thank you for that good information about oatmeal. I'm gonna try the raw egg mixed into the starter.
Thank you Judy Mayes
Just don't let it sit out for more than 4 hours in decent weather, less if it's hot that day or sitting right under/next to the heat lamp. Want to avoid bacterial growth.

I feed my egger flock the eggs I can't sell or eat myself (cracked shell but not membrane usually, or stained with poo), mixed into their regular feed, and that stuff is gone as fast as they can cram it into their crops, definitely before 2 hours is up.

So you have them in a tote if I understand right thats 24 inches long? And then the light is 18 inches above. It's really hard to have a hot and cold side with a tote that small. Pasty butt can be caused by stress and cold but also over heating. If you can get a hold of a temp gage or hygrometer to see what the temperature is in there that would be good.
I have a livestock tanks 50 gal thats i can clean it and us it or a paste board box and i have a heat plate i just got what you feel would be best?I'm going to go check the temperature ,what is the best temperature for these little babies?
Regards Judy Mayes

Feed store chicks get put on wood chips, the chicks eat them and get sick and die.
I make sure they have chick grit available after the first few days, and all of mine on wood shavings have been fine. When chicks are brooded outside by hens, they are around all sorts of stuff. Just have to be sure they have grit available. They figure out pretty quickly what is food and what is not.

I make sure they have chick grit available after the first few days, and all of mine on wood shavings have been fine. When chicks are brooded outside by hens, they are around all sorts of stuff. Just have to be sure they have grit available. They figure out pretty quickly what is food and what is not.
Ill get grit for them .Thank you Judy Mayes

I have a livestock tanks 50 gal thats i can clean it and us it or a paste board box and i have a heat plate i just got what you feel would be best?I'm going to go check the temperature ,what is the best temperature for these little babies?
Regards Judy Mayes
I put a thermometer under the lamp and then moved it off to the side its 18 " off the floor and its reading 102 degrees ! i put them in a longer tote ,i believe the other tote was shoter than my husband said at 32 inches long by 17 inches wide and much longer than the other i must have not heard right it was 23 " .what is a good reading?
Judy Mayes

I put a thermometer under the lamp and then moved it off to the side its 18 " off the floor and its reading 102 degrees ! i put them in a longer tote ,i believe the other tote was shoter than my husband said at 32 inches long by 17 inches wide and much longer than the other i must have not heard right it was 23 " .what is a good reading?
Judy Mayes
I've kept my other chicks at with the set up but in bigger tubs but they were full sized chicks.

Poultry-Chicks-Brooding-Temperature-Chart.png

Some people will brood a few degrees lower even. I have mine outside in a mobile today and they're a month old..it was 70 when I set them out today..

Back
Top Bottom