Got today new baby chick from TSC

If you cant get a bigger container, elevate the light. Do you have a bookshelf? You can put the shelf by the tote and clamp it and go up the shelves as they get older. I have done that, before hubby built a big brooder. You can also get a chick brooder plate. It's the concept of a momma hen. The chicks can come and go out from under it when cold, without a lamp. Some farm stores sell them...heres an example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2J5NY...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I put a thermometer under the lamp and then moved it off to the side its 18 " off the floor and its reading 102 degrees ! i put them in a longer tote ,i believe the other tote was shoter than my husband said at 32 inches long by 17 inches wide and much longer than the other i must have not heard right it was 23 " .what is a good reading?
Judy Mayes
102 is too warm. Chicks need a gradient, warm at one end and cool at the other, so that they can self select the correct temperature. Normally they will move around when not sleeping, going to the cool zone for a while and then going back to the warm zone to get warmed up and take a nap. The food and water should be in the cool zone. A brooder that is too small doesn't allow enough of a temperature gradient.

102 is too warm. Chicks need a gradient, warm at one end and cool at the other, so that they can self select the correct temperature. Normally they will move around when not sleeping, going to the cool zone for a while and then going back to the warm zone to get warmed up and take a nap. The food and water should be in the cool zone. A brooder that is too small doesn't allow enough of a

Can you advise me where to post my questions about chicken breeding to come up with a certain breed or type?

Back
Top Bottom