Governer Schwarznegger to kill dogs to save money - please write

quiltnchik

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Virginia
*Subject: **The governor is at it again. **important**ACT TODAY TO SAVE
PETS' LIVES*

A few years ago during much less severe budget cuts, Gov. Schwarznegger tried to reduce the holding time for shelter pets from 5 to 3 days. He received over a million faxes and phone calls and reversed his decision.

He is at it again, please take a minute to call from your cell phone at
lunch and/or email and let him know this is STILL not okay. Sadly,
until responsible pet ownership is a reality, we will continue to kill
millions of pets in our state alone.

Please forward to all your animal-loving friends and ask them to do the same.

"Call Governor Schwarzenegger today at 916-445-2841 and e-mail him at
http://gov.ca.gov/interact#email to oppose his plan to expedite animal
shelter killings to save money."

Quote:
Where did this come from? I live in CA and have never heard anything like that. Shelters here are run by ASPCA and the Humane Society which is donation funded.

That is what I was thinking. Our shelters are either city ran or private (like Debi mentioned). I am not aware of any "state-ran" shelters. Additionally we have many "no kill" shelters and private rescue groups. I did some dog rescue a few years ago and many shelters didn't even have a 5 day hold (unless it was the hold between trying to find an owner and putting the dog up for adoption). Also, many shelters around here call private rescues for pick up if they need more room.

Furthermore, I read the transcript of Gov. Schwarzenegger's address to the State Congress and this topic was NEVER brought up.

Last edited:
It came from a dog rescue group I belong to online. I couldn't find anything on Snopes or Google (as far as being fraudulent), so wanted to pass it along in case. I apologize if this is one of those myths that got circulated through the rescue groups.
hide.gif

Last edited:
While cutting education, social services, healthcare, etc. is not a good thing, some people feel that caring for the welfare of the other animals that share this planet is also important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come folks! This was an animal lover posting something that is of a concern to the person. This doesn't need to go all political!!! I am just glad all our shelters are privately funded through donations.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom