Gracie's Gang!

BluesChicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
CA Bay Area - East Bay
My four little chickies "arrived" (from the feed store) a week ago today. Two Buff Orps (Grace and Geneva), one Americana (Polly) and one Barred Rock (Daisey). I know...I know...bad idea to name them so young, especially as our town won't let us keep a rooster...so of course we named them anyway and after mothers, a favorite aunt and a grandma.
roll.png

What a difference a week makes at this age! They have gone from little puff-balls to pre-adolescents with attitude! They are already sorting themselves out, and to our surprise their little rankings pretty much match their namesakes! They are all showing wing feathers and little bristles on their butts!! They are also getting wilder and wilder, so today I made a chicken-wire cover for their home. They are in my bathroom, and I figured it would only be a few days 'till they were perching on the towel rack and pooping in the shower, or maybe vice-versa.

Last Saturday (remember we have had them a week today...Wednesday) I decided they needed to start getting used to being handled, so I crumbled up a tiny bit of boiled egg yolk in my palm. They were shy at first but now they absolutely go NUTS. I do this 2-3 times a day ("random positive operant conditioning" and all that stuff) and now when THE HAND is empty they climb all over it looking for where the treat is hidden and glaring at me reproachfully. Yesterday I tried them on a little green veg...no thank you boss!

Broccoli! Ewww...yuck...
(From the left they are Pretty Polly with her stripes, Daisey with her little white spot, Geneva the smaller Buff Orp and, Gracie Queen of the Flock up on her perch!)

For now I am working sporadically on the future outside home. The coop is done but I am still stringing wire for the run. The plan is for them to have about a 10x20 permanent run, and then allow them to forage around the yard when we are around. I am finding that running chicken wire is not easy...it keeps wanting to snap back! However, by the time it gets warm enough for them to be out AND they get big enough to be a real pain inside, it will be done.

Dave

I am keeping my six in my big bathroom too. They will be 2 weeks old Monday. They have a big wooden brooder with no top at the moment. They are running wide open across the brooder then hopping and trying out their new wing feathers. I need to make a top for them soon. Mine go crazy over the boiled egg yolk too. They see me walk in the door and they all run in my direction, because they know momma has something they love. It's so cute! I have 3 of mine named. The three Black Australorps have markings on their beaks so I can tell them apart. They are Pheobe, Fiona and Honey Boo Boo. The 3 Partridge Plymouth rocks have no distinguishing marks. I will wait till I see their personality to name those 3. They grow so fast!

Just about have their run finished. I still need to get the netting over the top to keep out the predators.

They mug each other to get to the egg-yolk! From left to right its Geneva, Polly (left out), Daisey (right in the middle of course) and Gracie. They are about 2-weeks old here and definitely in their adolescent phase...poor things...

I have to say I am getting such a kick out of how it feels to have all those little chicken-feet running around over my hand, and all those little pecks too. I know...I know...that will change when they are grown but I sure like it now.

Do you think I have caught the dreaded "Chicken Fever"??
tongue.png

Hey Blues:

I am an rookie, so I have no personal knowledge...my crew came a week ago,,,I have them on start-n-grow...I was told that they need grit to digest anything else...is hard boiled egg an exception? or have I been given bad info?

here's mine x2BO, x2GLW, x2 SG Dorking

Hey Blues:

I am an rookie, so I have no personal knowledge...my crew came a week ago,,,I have them on start-n-grow...I was told that they need grit to digest anything else...is hard boiled egg an exception? or have I been given bad info?
I'm really sorry I never got back to you. I have not been good about checking this thread. :-( Hard-boiled egg is OK as a treat, but as with other things in life, everything in moderation. I also give them mealworms as treats...the really little ones...and they go nuts over them! Gracie and the girls are about 5-weeks old now and they peck so hard it is painful! Now they get their treats in a dish...HaHa!!

Dave

Gracie and the gang have been having camp-outs (is that just a little to anthropomorphic??) for the last couple of days. They seem to like their coop although they do NOT seem to be able to find their way back inside yet!
barnie.gif
I gather them up in the evening and stuff them back through the pop-door and that seems to work. I guess they are still just babies...

We are getting lots of warm weather now, but I still have their box in the bathroom in case it turns cold next week.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom