Graduation!

newchickmom

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
My babies survived their first night outside! Here they are in their new temporary coop that we had to build, since they have outgrown the brooder. (we are in the process of building another coop) I think we will keep this setup as a post-brooder coop before any chicks go in with the big girls.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Great temporary coop! I can't wait to see pics of the permanent one! I'm glad they survived their first night outside. Mine went out for the first time last night too. It was nerve racking, but they did okay also!

That's great that they did so well their first night out! I'm new to chicks as well, mine are 3 weeks old and definitely outgrowing our indoor brooder. How old are yours, and what temp did you keep it for them? Thanks! Kim
jumpy.gif

They are 7 weeks old now and seem to be pretty well feathered out.

I have the heat lights in the new coop because it hasn't really warmed up that much yet. suppose to be 60s during the days this week and 40s at night.

That sure looks comfy. Our's won't have a heat lamp when it's time. We don't have electricity near the coop or a chord that extends that far. We'll have to wait a little longer too, since the weather is absolutely schizoid this year. LAst Saturday - 80 degerees, this Saturday - snow!

Two years ago when our two buffies were ready to go, we provided a plastic tote (upturned with a hole cut out for a door) and stuffed it with straw. They snuggled right in with each other each night and did fine. In fact, they lived in that tote for a long time - even after the coop was finished and we moved the tote to the coop - they still stayed inside that tote. We'll have to provide the same set up this time around too. Am a little nervous about our silkie. She may have to be 'held back'.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom