Granny's gone and done it again

Can animals get COVID-19?
The gorilla troop at the safari park tested positive. Got this email the other day:

Dear Katrina,

We are first and foremost a family. The health and safety of our guests, staff, and the wildlife in our care is always our highest priority.

Last year, as COVID-19 spread across the globe, we began to make decisions to protect our community, team members, volunteers, and the wildlife in our care. As new information about the virus became available indicating that a number of species might be susceptible, we acted on this knowledge and further enhanced our already comprehensive wildlife biosecurity measures—and we have remained committed to improving safety protocols throughout the past 10 months.

As a special member of our family, I want you to be the first to know that despite all of our efforts, determination, and continued vigilance to protect the wildlife in our care, the gorilla troop at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park has tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

At this time, the gorillas are doing well and showing only mild signs of infection. Rest assured that our skilled, experienced, and dedicated veterinary team and wildlife care professionals are observing them closely and are working in hand with other leading health professionals who have experience with this virus to help us determine the best path forward. Please know that we are utilizing all of our resources and talents to be able to provide the highest level of care for the gorilla troop.

During these difficult times, I am again reminded of how thankful I am for you—our family—and for our team members who selflessly go above and beyond to secure the health and safety of our community and our precious wildlife. You can visit us online for the latest information.

We are forever grateful to you for your continued support.
Together for Wildlife,
Paul A. Baribault
Paul A. Baribault
President/CEO
San Diego Zoo Global

Back
Top Bottom