Granny's gone and done it again

... so none of the chickens showed signs of injury. Until last night. Instead of roosting, she was huddled on the floor, facing the wall. I picked her up and examined her. She had an open wound on the middle of her back. We took her in the house and cleaned her up. It's about half again as big as a quarter, and deep. Skin is missing from it. And.... there were maggots. I picked out about half a dozen. Washed her good, sprayed her with Vetrycin and then with BluKote. Put her in crate with food, electrolyte water and grit and OS.

This morning I washed her again, saw no more maggots, thoroughly smeared her with Neosporin. She's eating, drinking, pooping. My guess is it will take a couple weeks for this to heal. Anything else I should do for her?

... so none of the chickens showed signs of injury. Until last night. Instead of roosting, she was huddled on the floor, facing the wall. I picked her up and examined her. She had an open wound on the middle of her back. We took her in the house and cleaned her up. It's about half again as big as a quarter, and deep. Skin is missing from it. And.... there were maggots. I picked out about half a dozen. Washed her good, sprayed her with Vetrycin and then wifh BluKote. Put her in crate with food, electrolyte water and grit and OS.

This morning I washed her again, saw no more maggots, thoroughly smeared her with Neosporin. She's eating, drinking, pooping. My guess is it will take a couple weeks for this to heal. Anything else I should do for her?
Sounds to me like you did all I would of done except I couldnt of handled taking maggots out. LOL I have heard good and bad about blukote. Maybe ask an educator. Keeping her away from flies and other chickens will be good.
Hope she improves quickly.

Sounds to me like you did all I would of done except I couldnt of handled taking maggots out. LOL I have heard good and bad about blukote. Maybe ask an educator. Keeping her away from flies and other chickens will be good.
Hope she improves quickly.
Thanks. I used looong tweezers, lol. And wore gloves from start to finish. Yeah, after I put the BluKote on I changed my mind. She's not going to be around the other chickens so there's no need. I just need to keep her clean and moist, I think. She says her left wing hurts, more than the wound, but there's no injury I can see. Hope it's not broken but I'll leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom